Advice on transport between Phnom Penh and Kampong Thom

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Advice on transport between Phnom Penh and Kampong Thom

Post by khmerhamster »

explorer wrote:A lot of buses and vans go through Kampong Thom, as it is on the way to Siem Reap. Check with any of the bus companies.

When you are there, find local transport to the village and back.
Sometimes I think explorer is the smartest guy on this site and he is playing a game.

Kinda like Sacha Baron Cohen playing Borat or Ali G
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

StroppyChops wrote:
khmerhamster wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:48 pm Where in KPT are you going to?

I’d expect that there are minivan drivers who probably go right to the village of the wedding. I know of one guy who goes from around Prasat Sambor Prey Kok to PP and back every day (probably less than $10 a seat - maybe more for big foreign bums who don’t want to share)

I’d suggest to get the lass who is getting married to ask her folks if there is someone in her or the next village who runs a minivan to PP.

The price of $180 is probably fair enough - the trick is to find someone with a van who lives local to the wedding.
Have you got a contact for that guy, please? Are we talking one of the typical Khmer moving shed type vans, or something a bit more upmarket? Not looking for Mai-tais and Brie, but I'd rather Mrs Stroppy travel in something a bit more than the local speeding coffins. I've done the "flag down a van" and don't mind sharing body odour with the locals, but it's not really her thing.

Our girl has asked family already, not much use. When we were there for the engagement ceremony an extended family member charged us $20 to take us from the village back to KT, which is where he was going anyway, despite the family's protestations, and wouldn't be budged on it. Harsh country, it seems.

The quote of $180 was for an SUV - no idea if that's a good price or crazy barang price.
This guy drives a 12 (or maybe 15 seater minivan). It’s not luxury but it’s certainly not falling apart.
I missed that you were looking for a suv. The minivan would only make sense if there were close to ten of you travelling.
Still want me to get the number?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:00 am This guy drives a 12 (or maybe 15 seater minivan). It’s not luxury but it’s certainly not falling apart.
I missed that you were looking for a suv. The minivan would only make sense if there were close to ten of you travelling.
Sorry for the slow response - yes please.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Advice on transport between PP and Kampong Thom

Post by StroppyChops »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:12 am
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:24 pm
Username Taken wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:07 pm Can't you take a Bumblebee tuk tuk?
Actually considered it for a while. Two hours driving the big tuktuk is about my limit these days, I believe KT would be about 4-5 hours.
Once you're out of PP it's a doddle to get to Kampong Thom, just burn up the new route 6. When my wife buys the bus tickets she tells them where to pick her up and drop her off (when it's not the terminus). Usually written on the ticket. You wouldn't be the only person. The times I've been in Kampong Thom no-one has asked me if I wanted a tuk-tuk so I'm not sure how easy it would be to get one. You would have to track one down.
I normally wouldn't balk at driving our big tuk-tuk outside the city, it's actually much more enjoyable on a good road just cruising along eating miles and the 250cc is up to the task - but in all honesty, the number of Chinese-induced car crashes has got me a little scared these days.

I'm hoping we're going to be able to do as your wife does and just get off at KT, but it's the return journey that's problematic as a lot of reviewers have commented that although they've paid for full tickets on the understanding they'll be picked up at some midway point, by the time the bus arrives the driver has resold their seats as no-shows in SR or wherever, and probably pocketed the resale.

We saw quite a few tuk-tuks in KT when we were there 6 months ago, so shouldn't be too much of an issue getting one for the local trips.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Advice on transport between PP and Kampong Thom

Post by explorer »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:56 pm I'm hoping we're going to be able to do as your wife does and just get off at KT, but it's the return journey that's problematic as a lot of reviewers have commented that although they've paid for full tickets on the understanding they'll be picked up at some midway point, by the time the bus arrives the driver has resold their seats as no-shows in SR or wherever, and probably pocketed the resale.
Buses and minivans go through there often. It is probably the busiest bus route in Cambodia. Last time I was there, there was someone selling bus tickets on the side of the road. If you bought a one way ticket, then came back at a reasonable time of the day, I dont think you would have any problems with the return journey.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:51 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:00 am This guy drives a 12 (or maybe 15 seater minivan). It’s not luxury but it’s certainly not falling apart.
Sorry for the slow response - yes please.
Here you go - 011891058

I don’t know his name, we always just called him ‘driver’. Pleasant guy, doesn’t speak much (if any) English. Depending on how conversant you are in khmer you may need to get your staff to call him.
I’ve found him to be fair, but maybe that’s because one of my staff members is mates with him.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:42 pm Here you go - 011891058

I don’t know his name, we always just called him ‘driver’. Pleasant guy, doesn’t speak much (if any) English. Depending on how conversant you are in khmer you may need to get your staff to call him.
I’ve found him to be fair, but maybe that’s because one of my staff members is mates with him.
Appreciated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic