Carnet de Residence Books to be issued to foreigners?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Carnet de Residence Books to be issued to foreigners?

Post by fax »

Yes me personally, my Cambodian partner is included in mine. I requested it for the 10 year driver license.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Bumping to see if anyone knows the actual law that states foreigners can and should be issued a carnet de residence?

Trying to sort out ours, but the national ID office says it needs to be done first in my wife's district and then moved to the city. The city folk are OK with it, the yokel srok administration seem to have no idea of their duties and obligations and are loathe to break a sweat to find out.
Andy S Tawatin
Expatriate

Post by Andy S Tawatin »

I got one easy enough.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

epidemiks wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:38 pm Bumping to see if anyone knows the actual law that states foreigners can and should be issued a carnet de residence?

Trying to sort out ours, but the national ID office says it needs to be done first in my wife's district and then moved to the city. The city folk are OK with it, the yokel srok administration seem to have no idea of their duties and obligations and are loathe to break a sweat to find out.
Your wife needs to de-register from the Sangkat where she is currently registered in order to register with the Sangkat where she resides and have you added to it. Have your wife get the phone number of someone at the Department of Identification so that the "Yokel srok administration" can talk to them for an explanation.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Yeah I've got one too. It's nothing complicated to get. $10-15 and voilà. Took maybe two days as the guy who stamps them wasn't around too often.

Why exactly do you need it? If it's for a matter unrelated to family, there's no reason to have who deregister and reregister with you I'd say. No need to overcomplicate things.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

BKL makes a good point...What exactly do you need it for?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:55 pm
epidemiks wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:38 pm Bumping to see if anyone knows the actual law that states foreigners can and should be issued a carnet de residence?

Your wife needs to de-register from the Sangkat where she is currently registered in order to register with the Sangkat where she resides and have you added to it. Have your wife get the phone number of someone at the Department of Identification so that the "Yokel srok administration" can talk to them for an explanation.

That's the advice we have from DoID, and what she tried yesterday. Someone capable of operating a telephone 'wasn't working' yesterday.

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:03 pm Yeah I've got one too. It's nothing complicated to get. $10-15 and voilà. Took maybe two days as the guy who stamps them wasn't around too often.

Why exactly do you need it? If it's for a matter unrelated to family, there's no reason to have who deregister and reregister with you I'd say. No need to overcomplicate things.
Mainly so my son has a history of appropriate documents. They won't put me in a family book, so this is the next best thing, as far as I can tell.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Was your son not added to his mothers Carnet de Residence and/or Family Book when you obtained his official birth certificate?

Best bet is for your wife to just be persistent with the Sangkat in liaison with the DoID.

As the father of a Cambodian Citizen you have every right to be included as the father on the Carnet de Residence, but it needs to be your wifes own, not the Familys.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

epidemiks wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:11 am They won't put me in a family book, so this is the next best thing, as far as I can tell.
Kiwi is 100% right. If you did get legally married and Cambodia recognizes it, your wife should be able to start her own family book with you in it.
Still here, in country...
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:21 am Was your son not added to his mothers Carnet de Residence and/or Family Book when you obtained his official birth certificate?

Best bet is for your wife to just be persistent with the Sangkat in liaison with the DoID.

As the father of a Cambodian Citizen you have every right to be included as the father on the Carnet de Residence, but it needs to be your wifes own, not the Familys.
The provincial guys said it wasn't possible to add me at the same time as our son, so we decided to wait until we'd bought a house and then run it all here in the city. Now, DoID then said I need to be added to a Carnet de Residence where my wife is registered, then move that to our local district but the provincial guys still say I can't be added, at all.

To clarify:
- A foreigner can be added to a Carnet de Residence, but cannot be added to a Khmer Family Book?
- In order to be added to her own Carnet de Residence, my wife must first be removed from her Family book?

Edit. She got a letter requesting the move, and will set up a book in the city.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic