Ever heard of Thai visa extension being declined?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Ever heard of Thai visa extension being declined?

Post by bittermelon »

Considering doing a 10 week course there. So would need to extend the tourist visa. Recent posts about trouble entering Thailand have me wondering if I could get unlucky with an official that doesn't like the look of me. Anyone heard of this happening?
Last edited by bittermelon on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Ever heard of visa extension being declined?

Post by Brody »

bittermelon wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:54 pm Considering doing a 10 week course there. So would need to extend the tourist visa. Recent posts about trouble entering Thailand have me wondering if I could get unlucky with an official that doesn't like the look of me. Anyone heard of this happening?
I think if you have proof of booked accommodations, maybe an acceptance / enrollment letter from where you're taking the course, and proof of booked onward travel it should be no problem for you.

Out of curiosity, what course are you taking?
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Ever heard of Thai visa extension being declined?

Post by bittermelon »

The CELTA course. Have heard and read that doing it in 4 weeks is pretty intense, so the part-time one makes sense.
Myriam H
Tourist
Belgium

Re: Ever heard of visa extension being declined?

Post by Myriam H »

It might depend on your nationality, and where you cross the border. I have not heard of that however.
If you came on a tourist visa, you may extend it for another month but that's the max.
We did the border run at Poipet, a breeze, no problem at all: we entered Thailand, no visa required as we were transiting less than 12 hours, had a cup of coffee on the Thai side, then returned to Cambodia to get an ordinary visa, good for another month. I doubt they do 10 week extension though.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

bittermelon wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:16 pm The CELTA course. Have heard and read that doing it in 4 weeks is pretty intense, so the part-time one makes sense.
That's cool.

ACE offers the CELTA in Phnom Penh. But I don't know if they offer a part-time version.

Though to be honest I'd probably do it in Thailand just so I could go and finally experience a soapy. :mrgreen:

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

it happens BUT not often;
where are you doing the course?
start off with the 60 day tourist visa than go in after 45 days or so for the 30 day extension.
even my Cambodian gf never had an extension refused.

worst comes to worst u just do a quick run to the closest border and come back with a 30 day visa exempt.

Myraim above is wrong, after a 30 day extension on a 60 day tourist visa you can apply for another extension
they will refuse you, BUT will issue u a "7 days get out of the country extension" :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

bittermelon wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:54 pm Considering doing a 10 week course there. So would need to extend the tourist visa. Recent posts about trouble entering Thailand have me wondering if I could get unlucky with an official that doesn't like the look of me. Anyone heard of this happening?
i just extended my 30 day Free Visa Exempt stamp an extra 30 days for 1900baht at the Chonburi Immigration in Jomtien,
what i needed was:
Passport (obviously)
Filled out extension form,
1 passport photo,
2 photocopies of my passport main page + Entry Stamp + Departure Card
Copy of Rental/Lease agreement + Photocopy of the owners ID Card

At the Immigration, at the reception they check you got all the right docs then give you a number,
waited to be seen at the first desk, where they called up my landlady in order to confirm that i live there,
they then filled out a slip and stapled it into my passport to which i had to get it photocopied there for 3 baht,
after that i then had to wait in a queue at another desk for about an hour in order to then pay and get my extension stamp

was a pretty smooth process, took about 2 hours in total most of that was just sat in immigration waiting for my turn, seats were comfy though :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

unique to pattaya, "Copy of Rental/Lease agreement + Photocopy of the owners ID Card"

phuket/Bangkok; no need for rental agreement/copy lease or id card of owner as most people getting 30 day extensions are tourist.

Jamie; did they ask you for a tm 30 form? Assume thats what they stabled into ur passport in the back,( receipt of notification) an reason for lease, owners id card
which is very unusual for 30 day extensions, did u tell them ur living there?
Tourists dont need TM 30 or need report their residence as ur gh/hotel will report where u are staying
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:17 pm unique to pattaya, "Copy of Rental/Lease agreement + Photocopy of the owners ID Card"

phuket/Bangkok; no need for rental agreement/copy lease or id card of owner as most people getting 30 day extensions are tourist.

Jamie; did they ask you for a tm 30 form? Assume thats what they stabled into ur passport in the back,( receipt of notification) an reason for lease, owners id card
which is very unusual for 30 day extensions, did u tell them ur living there?
Tourists dont need TM 30 or need report their residence as ur gh/hotel will report where u are staying
yeah it was a receipt of notification that they stapled into my passport
when i first went to pick up the paperwork i needed, they gave me the proof of residency form, it was basically a few sheets which your landlord/hotel manager had to fill out to declare you are staying with them, which i didnt bother filling in as i already had copies of my lease agreement etc
if you are staying in a hotel, you would give them the filled out form with your hotels address and details and they would ring up to confirm you are staying there

heres the list of what was needed....
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if ur staying in a hotel/GH u would never have to give them (immigration) anything, (at least anywhere else in Thailand)
Seems pattaya is getting tougher than anywhere else, as everywhere else in Thailand it ONLY applies to people staying longer than 90 days at one time needing to do a TM30

there is no reason for them to "ring up the hotel " as they are all required DAILY to report who is staying at their gh/hotel
it is their responsibility to report the farang.
Do u put on ur arrival form ur staying at an apt ?
you shouldn't
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic