Any French people who speak Khmer?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Any French people who speak Khmer?

Post by explorer »

If there are any French people who speak Khmer and participate in this forum, I would be interested to know, if you learn Khmer using the French spelling, how close is the pronunciation to the way Cambodian people speak?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Any French people who speak Khmer

Post by Spigzy »

Sadly they're all on strike. Please make an improved financial offer, or better life-life balance proposition to break the deadlock and obtain the knowledge you seek.

#LeTired
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

:sign17: i have always looked for a khmer teacher who could speak and write thai , but never found one - i was kicked out of my cambodian class for being ' thai ' -
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

explorer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:08 am If there are any French people who speak Khmer and participate in this forum, I would be interested to know, if you learn Khmer using the French spelling, how close is the pronunciation to the way Cambodian people speak?
As shitty as english one. Did you ever hear French speak Khmer ? Clue, they sound the same in english.

There might be some video on youtube.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I speak French fluently. I used a combination of French/English and German for the sounds when I first started. I'd say French is much closer than English in terms of closeness to the sounds (a, r, é, è etc). Cambodians also tend to sound good when they speak French (no/fewer consonant sounds at the end of words like English). I didn't use any of the "official" spellings, as they don't sound the same as French either. I just made my own symbols for short and long vowel sounds and so forth. I think Khners are the ones who romanized a lot of those dictionaries. There's a really good book by a French doctor which has good romanization for French speakers (along with Khmer script). I'd say it's the best/closest romanization system I've seen. Still, I'd sometimes spell things differently myself, so it's best to hear a word yourself then romanize it yourself. Khmer script is best, but then a lot of people who rely on that end up speaking really unnaturally according to Khmers I know. Overpronouncing words in-a-very-ro-bo-tic-way.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

@Barang_doa_slae is french and speaks khmer
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:07 pm Still, I'd sometimes spell things differently myself, so it's best to hear a word yourself then romanize it yourself. Khmer script is best, but then a lot of people who rely on that end up speaking really unnaturally according to Khmers I know. Overpronouncing words in-a-very-ro-bo-tic-way.
exactly this,
i looked around online when i first started learning and there were so many differences in how people would Romanize words, i just started doing it myself and created my own system, until i learnt how to read khmer so didnt have to rely on that anymore so now just Romanize it the same way Khmers do as its a nice simple form,

haha and youre right about the over-pronouncing,

cant actually remember the last time i actually pronounced ខ្ញុំ as Khnyom
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I noticed this in the Wikipedia.

On 9 March 1945, during the Japanese occupation of Cambodia, young king Norodom Sihanouk proclaimed an independent Kingdom of Kampuchea, following a formal request by the Japanese. Shortly thereafter the Japanese government nominally ratified the independence of Cambodia and established a consulate in Phnom Penh. The new government did away with the romanisation of the Khmer language that the French colonial administration was beginning to enforce and officially reinstated the Khmer script.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Cambodia

It seems, at one time Khmer was written using the French alphabet.

Vietnamese was too, and still is.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:07 pm I speak French fluently. I used a combination of French/English and German for the sounds when I first started. I'd say French is much closer than English in terms of closeness to the sounds (a, r, é, è etc). Cambodians also tend to sound good when they speak French (no/fewer consonant sounds at the end of words like English). I didn't use any of the "official" spellings, as they don't sound the same as French either. I just made my own symbols for short and long vowel sounds and so forth. I think Khners are the ones who romanized a lot of those dictionaries. There's a really good book by a French doctor which has good romanization for French speakers (along with Khmer script). I'd say it's the best/closest romanization system I've seen. Still, I'd sometimes spell things differently myself, so it's best to hear a word yourself then romanize it yourself. Khmer script is best, but then a lot of people who rely on that end up speaking really unnaturally according to Khmers I know. Overpronouncing words in-a-very-ro-bo-tic-way.
Plus there are other vowels such as the "o" in école and the vowels in "soeur" and "leur". which most closely approximate Khmer vowel sounds which are non-existent in English.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:03 pm <cut>

It seems, at one time Khmer was written using the French alphabet.

Vietnamese was too, and still is.
Explorer, you make all kinds of wrong assumptions. The Vietnamese alphabet has nothing to do with the French alphabet.

It's based on mainly on Portuguese and has some Italian, Greek and Latin influences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_alphabet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic