Feb 27 is National Clean City Day

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Feb 27 is National Clean City Day

Post by newkidontheblock » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:13 am

Educating Khmer on tidiness?

Sorry, fail. Had the lady next to me on the airplane to Phnom Penh generating rubbish and furtively kicking all of it to a corner below the seat posts.

This is after ignoring repeated passes by the airplane cabin crew to collect trash.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:47 am

I did a little voluntary English teaching last year. I would meet some of the students out for a walk in the evening. They would pick up rubbish and put it in a bin. This group is taught, and involved in, more than just university, and I think they will have a positive influence in Cambodia.

There are some good people doing good things.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:57 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:13 am
Educating Khmer on tidiness?

Sorry, fail.
It’s not a Khmer thing, though. It’s highly prevalent in other parts of south east Asia. (My references mainly include India, Bangladesh, Malaya. KL/Malaya having much improved over the last decade, in some ways). It’s largely down to self- and mutual- respect, and teaching. I saw much of the same poor social behaviour there.

(I’m speculating...)
In India/Bangladesh their mentoring and role models are from an era still highly influenced by the trauma of the partition, several times over.
In Cambodia, I wonder if the same effect isn’t partially as a result of the history of the seventies? I can’t speak for earlier times, as was too young and getting clipped around the ear for littering.

Interestingly, the Sri Lankan population seems much more aware, socially, and yet still has a some diverse racial and cultural communities.

Engaging the younger generations and making an effort to break the bad habits the older generations must surely be a significant step in the process, but not the only one.

Just in case anyone thinks that this is the preserve of the third world/Asia, I’d suggest looking at the verges along some of Britain’s motorways, and the (US) States, too.*

*yes, i know, it’s highways...
we Remember
So Their sacrifice is never forgotten
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic