Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

Post by taabarang »

"How do you explain that some people dont pronounce them the way the Cambodians pronounce them, but pronounce them the way the French spelling sounds in English?"

The French letter "j" has a different sound value than the English "j.". Unless of course you. want to speak another language with a strong accent. Really I fiind. your. self appointed linguistic expertise fraudulent.

To drive the point home listen to a Frenchman say "Jasmine" and to a native English speaker say the same word. Of course as is true with all languages your location in the country may produce variations. Nonetheless they never changed the questions and you never knew all the answers. I really don't care how nice you are, I care about relevance.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:39 am
DrRawBlueGreen wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:49 am :popcorn: Didn’t you follow the discussion. They do it so they can hold hands in public.
Not only that but apparently pent up desires were unleashed as well.. :stir:
Ofc not. I was just joking. Was just Giving a sloppy reply to a sloppy question/ statement. The best thing you can do with your gf is actually traveling.
“If the world was a girl, I’d stick my d..k in the ground. F..k the World.”

“Borders do not make us safe rather they keep us as slaves”
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

taabarang wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:50 pm
The French letter "j" has a different sound value than the English "j.". Unless of course you. want to speak another language with a strong accent. Really I fiind. your. self appointed linguistic expertise fraudulent.

To drive the point home listen to a Frenchman say "Jasmine" and to a native English speaker say the same word.
To be more specific, I think that a Frenchman would pronounce the j in jasmin as a voiced postalveolar fricative and and Englishman would pronounce the j in jasmine as a voiced postalveolar affricate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic