Have you ever had a shoe thrown at you in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jd1965
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Have you ever had a shoe thrown at you in Cambodia?

Post by jd1965 »

Nope, never happened to me but I've seen plenty of Khmer chickenheads do it to each other.
But let's be honest here...nothing will ever come close to the khmer national sport of 'Kicking The Flipflop'.
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:18 pm Mrs Stroppy had warm cans of beer thrown at her by freshy boys in Takeo - is that similar?
Someone I know in Saigon had lumps of ice thrown at him by jealous teen males in district 9.

But where's all the shoe stories? Cambodia and Asia are famous for shoe throwing etc. Not sure why. Anybody?
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

A) It's the only thing they have in their immediate posession that they can throw, and B) It is considered very disrespectful to do so, like how putting your feet up in Thailand I've heard is very offensive.

Those are my guesses.
-insert signature here
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:53 pm not in Cambodia but here had some thai's attack me with their shoes in their hands

As they were up against me and a baseball bat, didn't worry me much
Impressive! They brought shoes to a baseball bat fight!
RatanakBat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RatanakBat »

Never had a shoe thrown at me, but I have had a hundred bucks stolen from my room at the grand View. I had two in my bag and when I came to get change, one had gone. Could only have been someone who let themselves in.
I politely informed the lady who seemed to be running the place, but despite a fair bit of shouting amongst the staff, I never saw my hundred dollars again.
No one threw a shoe at me though, so clearly my complaint was not properly logged!
The Suk Straggler
BANNED

Post by The Suk Straggler »

RatanakBat wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:49 am Never had a shoe thrown at me, but I have had a hundred bucks stolen from my room at the grand View. I had two in my bag and when I came to get change, one had gone. Could only have been someone who let themselves in.
I politely informed the lady who seemed to be running the place, but despite a fair bit of shouting amongst the staff, I never saw my hundred dollars again.
No one threw a shoe at me though, so clearly my complaint was not properly logged!

That story is not even remotely about shoe throwing in any way whatsoever at all!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Number one step daughterish threw a clog at me (if that counts). It may have been in relation to my nazi biscuit control policies.

Slightly off topic- I had an excessively quebecois nationalist separatist bus driver in Montréal spitting at me some years back. Initially my own fault apparently, for
-not being quebecois
-speaking English
-not understanding road signs hidden in snow banks

After a few minutes, I decided that annoying the crap out of him might lead to him stroking out to add some comedy to the event. Sadly, no. He lived on, and nearly wiped out the side of the bus while swerving at me in my car. I gather his passengers weren’t too impressed, though.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

You youngsters are all forgetting the mother of all show throws:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic