Police check for immigration purposes

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
omar.kahaly
Tourist

Re: Police check for immigration purposes

Post by omar.kahaly »

My brother is missing in Phen Phnom Cambodia. Is there a private investigator that can locate him? I'm desperate looking for any means
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

omar.kahaly wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:07 am My brother is missing in Phen Phnom Cambodia. Is there a private investigator that can locate him? I'm desperate looking for any means
Maybe a good idea to start your own thread.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:51 am
omar.kahaly wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:07 am My brother is missing in Phen Phnom Cambodia. Is there a private investigator that can locate him? I'm desperate looking for any means
Maybe a good idea to start your own thread.
After you start your own thread, consider including his name, photos, when and where you last had contact with him, and any other information which may help identify him.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
LesTiao
Tourist
United States of America

Post by LesTiao »

Problem arises when you dont rent but live with wife/gf in their own home. This is my problem, no proof of residency, no report, been a real headache.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

LesTiao wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:00 pm Problem arises when you dont rent but live with wife/gf in their own home. This is my problem, no proof of residency, no report, been a real headache.
Simple solution...your gf registers you as a tenant with the Sangkat, get Certificate of Residence, done. Or...

If the Sangkat are being difficult, then get a lease drawn up, monthly rental $0 - $1, register with Sangkat, get Certificate of Residence, done.
PeaceDuke
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by PeaceDuke »

Thanks a lot for the info.

Cheers.
tuktuk
Tourist
United States of America

Post by tuktuk »

I'm sure that an agent would be able to complete this process without the need for a residence certificate...[?] It seems like unnecessary red tape.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

tuktuk wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:21 am I'm sure that an agent would be able to complete this process without the need for a residence certificate...[?] It seems like unnecessary red tape.
Why is it unnecessary red tape? The MoJ requires it to confirm that you are not known to the local Sangkat for being a troublemaker. Still simpler than a lot of other countries' CRC application processes. Certificate of Residence is a requirement, if you pay a consultancy firm or law firm to apply for your Police Clearance they will still need to obtain a Cert of Residence on your behalf...will cost ya an arm and leg though.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:08 pm
tuktuk wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:21 am I'm sure that an agent would be able to complete this process without the need for a residence certificate...[?] It seems like unnecessary red tape.
Why is it unnecessary red tape? The MoJ requires it to confirm that you are not known to the local Sangkat for being a troublemaker. Still simpler than a lot of other countries' CRC application processes. Certificate of Residence is a requirement, if you pay a consultancy firm or law firm to apply for your Police Clearance they will still need to obtain a Cert of Residence on your behalf...will cost ya an arm and leg though.
PSD-Kiwi we know that obtaining the Certificate of Residence from the local Sangkat is a free service. But what if the Sangkat in question now wants payment for the services?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Andy, most Sangkats will charge a small fee of 10,000 KHR for the service, not much you can do about it except pay if you want/need it. I would however advise you not to pay more than $10, max $20, for it...I have heard of expats stupidly paying $50 - 100!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic