Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
DrRawBlueGreen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

Post by DrRawBlueGreen »

:popcorn: Didn’t you follow the discussion. They do it so they can hold hands in public.
“If the world was a girl, I’d stick my d..k in the ground. F..k the World.”

“Borders do not make us safe rather they keep us as slaves”
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

PIEMAN wrote::stir: why would you take your khmer girlfriend out the country in the 1st place :assasin:
To build up her confidence boarding airplanes and navigating airports in general.

To prepare her to live in a world where there is law and order.

To have a few days of not getting run over when walking on the sidewalk.

To have a few days of not getting run over when crossing at a crosswalk.

To have a few days where every meal isn’t accompanied by fish sauce or prahok.

To look good on the visa application.

To give her some khmer street cred
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:40 am i write these words with a J sound
ចូល - Joul
ចិត្ដ - Jet
ចង់ - Jong
ចម្រៀង - Jomreung
ច្រៀង - Jreung
ចាំ - Jam
ចេះ - Jeh
ចាក - Jak
ចេញ - Jenh

on the other hand i would spell these with a Ch as they have a litte less of a J sound than the above
ច្រើន - Chrern
ចាស - Chas
ចាប់ - Chab
I pronounce all of these words, and others containing ច, with a J sound. There are other letters where the sound is not the same as English, but I believe this is not one of them.

I suspect, some people pronounce these ch because they have learnt from the French spelling, not by the way Cambodians pronounce them.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:18 am weve had the Chh/Ch argument before, its irrelevent
You mean friendly discussion. I hope nobody has bad feelings when somebody expresses a different opinion.

There have been discussions in the past, where I have questioned whether what I have been taught is correct. I have looked into it, asked Cambodians, and come to a better understanding. We can all learn from this type of discussion.

In some situations we may disagree, but I dont have any bad feelings, and I hope others dont either.

Some people may just be agreeable when they dont really agree. I think decent people say what they really believe.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

explorer wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:58 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:18 am weve had the Chh/Ch argument before, its irrelevent
You mean friendly discussion. I hope nobody has bad feelings when somebody expresses a different opinion.

There have been discussions in the past, where I have questioned whether what I have been taught is correct. I have looked into it, asked Cambodians, and come to a better understanding. We can all learn from this type of discussion.

In some situations we may disagree, but I dont have any bad feelings, and I hope others dont either.

Some people may just be agreeable when they dont really agree. I think decent people say what they really believe.
yes it was only a discussion of opinions mate, i spell it how its commonly spelt...

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

DrRawBlueGreen wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:49 am :popcorn: Didn’t you follow the discussion. They do it so they can hold hands in public.
Not only that but apparently pent up desires were unleashed as well.. :stir:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

explorer wrote:I suspect, some people pronounce these ch because they have learnt from the French spelling, not by the way Cambodians pronounce them.
You're fucking insufferable. Your knowledge of the language and it's pronunciation is so deep, please enlighten us again about the origins of the names of Khmer towns :-D

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
explorer wrote:I suspect, some people pronounce these ch because they have learnt from the French spelling, not by the way Cambodians pronounce them.
You're fucking insufferable. Your knowledge of the language and it's pronunciation is so deep, please enlighten us again about the origins of the names of Khmer towns :-D
The ignore function seems to work.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:41 am
How do you pronounce the words discussed above?

How do you explain that some people dont pronounce them the way the Cambodians pronounce them, but pronounce them the way the French spelling sounds in English?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

explorer wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:26 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:41 am
How do you pronounce the words discussed above?

How do you explain that some people dont pronounce them the way the Cambodians pronounce them, but pronounce them the way the French spelling sounds in English?
Because they are not listening actively enough to native speakers and correcting their pronunciation. When you speak, what you hear yourself saying can be slightly different to the sound other listeners hear. I learnt French, Mandarin and Thai by listening to tapes and repeating phrases. When I was in France and Thailand I refined my pronunciation by being corrected by the people I talked to. With Vietnamese and Khmer it was very much learning on the fly -listen, repeat, get corrected, try again. The script really needs to come later. The sounds need to be embedded in your head before learning how they are represented on paper.

Having said that often people just learn enough to get understood and that's enough it doesn't have to be perfect. Native speakers will often make allowances for poor pronunciation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic