Feb 27 is National Clean City Day

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

25 January 2019
The Ministry of Tourism, in conjunction with the National Committee for Clean City Evaluation, on Tuesday urged governors in the Kingdom’s 25 cities and provinces to launch an awareness-raising and sanitation campaign in the run-up to the National Clean City Day.

In a letter dated Wednesday, the ministry said the Kingdom will mark the seventh National Clean City Day on February 27, during which the winners of Green Tourism and Best Hospitality awards will be announced. It called on deputy provincial and municipal governors to use all means to promote public participation.

Kep provincial governor Ken Satha said his coastal province has been carrying out the government’s Clean City campaign on a regular basis.

“We have done it on a daily basis, not only when the ministry issues an announcement. This year we will make more efforts in expanding infrastructure in the province . . . we will construct standard roads that have separate lanes for cars, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians. The road will be lined with colourful lights powered by renewable energy,” he said.

He said the efforts resulted in the province receiving an Asean Clean Tourism award from Brunei in 2017.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... n-city-day
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Feb 27 is National Clean City Day

Post by Duncan »

Does that mean we have another national holiday.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Duncan wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:41 am Does that mean we have another national holiday.
Well, it happens to me my birthday.....
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hanno wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:17 pm
Duncan wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:41 am Does that mean we have another national holiday.
Well, it happens to me my birthday.....
Fair enough. It should be a national holiday then. :plus1:
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

I might drop something
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Now for the not so funny. I don't expect the authorities to fix the sewage (or sewerage, both terms are correct) problems in Sihanoukville instantly. However, it is incorrect to say that it is no longer running into the sea, as is stated here in the OP article.
Preah Sihanouk provincial deputy governor Phai Bunvannak said the authority is also working to improve infrastructure and restore beaches in the coastal province, which has lately seen rapid encroachment on natural resources.

We no longer let dirty water flow into the sea. Previously, we had an issue with that. The problem was caused by the construction boom,” he said.

post305083.html?hilit=raw%20sewage%20Si ... le#p305083

I went to check this outlet on Sokha beach yesterday. When you get close to it, the sea is dark and full of foam, and there is a putrid stench in the air. You can see that the "waste water" continues to run on to Sokha beach where the holiday-makers are swimming. They have no idea. There were babies and small kids playing in the sea about 100m from the outlet.
This is disgraceful. Sokha and Xinhu are both upmarket hotels catering to international tourists, and yet they are pumping waste into the sea where their clients swim. Do they have no shame ? :evil: Tourists don't come all the way to Cambodia to swim in sh** and this gives Cambodia a bad name.

So, unfortunately, even if some people say this problem is fixed, that is not so. Tourists and locals are risking their health by swimming in the sea here in Sihanoukville. I applaud the efforts to clean up the beaches, but IMO, so far there are a lot of promises and not enough action.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Thanks for the update. Quite unbelievable
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

So PP will be clean for a day!
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

canucklhead wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:43 am So PP will be clean for a day!
lol sure
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Cynicism aside, the issue of keeping the place tidy surely starts with educating people?

Of the Brits and former UK residents here, many may recall the ‘keep Britain tidy’ campaign, and especially for the likes of me, the public info films (infomercials I think is the modern term)
Wikipedia article wrote:1970s Public information films and high-profile national campaigning, including many popular faces of the day (such as ABBA, The Walt Disney Company, David Cassidy, Marc Bolan and Morecambe and Wise) has a marked impact on attitudes towards littering and awareness of the Keep Britain Tidy brand.
An approach that seemed to work well for a while, but Britain is slipping backwards.

I won’t the kids drop litter randomly, even though their own cousins are left to treat the place like an open dustbin. It won’t be fixed in one generation, but it is possible to start getting people’s attention.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic