Trees and general greenery

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Trees and general greenery

Post by xandreu »

My neighbour has just decorated her balcony with lots of big green plants, which looks great, but when I look over the balcony, there's barely a tree in sight.

There doesn't seem to be any emphasis on trees or general greenery / shrubbery in Cambodia. Not just PP but out in the provinces too. You might find one or two but nothing like you see in most towns and cities. It has dawned on me that it's this that gives Cambodia, and Phnom Penh in particular, it's, shall we say, distinctive look.

If you take the bus to Ho Chi Minh, you don't have to go much past the border to see the towns and villages take on a different look, and that's mostly down to there just being more greenery in general, even though it's generally the same climate.

Anyone know why Cambodia is so devoid of natural features? Are there / have there ever been any initiatives to spruce up the place?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Trees and general greenery

Post by frank lee bent »

They can kill by sucking the oxygen from the atmosphere
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

We had neighbours with lots of plants on their balcony - looked great, but the downside was year round mosquitoes. The little fuckers were terrible, no doubt they were breeding unhindered in the water catchers.

After we'd live there for about 3 years they left. End of problem during the dry.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

xandreu wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 am My neighbour has just decorated her balcony with lots of big green plants, which looks great, but when I look over the balcony, there's barely a tree in sight.

There doesn't seem to be any emphasis on trees or general greenery / shrubbery in Cambodia. Not just PP but out in the provinces too. You might find one or two but nothing like you see in most towns and cities. It has dawned on me that it's this that gives Cambodia, and Phnom Penh in particular, it's, shall we say, distinctive look.

If you take the bus to Ho Chi Minh, you don't have to go much past the border to see the towns and villages take on a different look, and that's mostly down to there just being more greenery in general, even though it's generally the same climate.

Anyone know why Cambodia is so devoid of natural features? Are there / have there ever been any initiatives to spruce up the place?
was actually thinking about this yesterday
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

There was a time when trees were more abundant in the city center.

ImageImage
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:40 am
xandreu wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:22 am My neighbour has just decorated her balcony with lots of big green plants, which looks great, but when I look over the balcony, there's barely a tree in sight.

Too tempting I'm afraid Jamie
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

On topic though. Isn't there a city ordinance that prevents the felling of healthy trees?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:47 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:40 am

Too tempting I'm afraid Jamie
:plus1:
probably looked more like this tbh...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:49 am On topic though. Isn't there a city ordinance that prevents the felling of healthy trees?

Just classify them as unhealthy, then there is no problem.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic