Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Wanker Wat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Does your Cambodian girlfriend behave oddly when out of the country?

Post by Wanker Wat »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:16 am "No Cambodians can see us, so it's fine" seems to be her rational, so she unleashes this sort of pent up desire for physical contact in public.
A Cambodian date once said the same thing to me. It doesn't just apply in foreign countries, I recall we were sitting outside at the Exchange and the only people in line of sight were a table of foreigners and she explained that it was therefore OK to have physical contact because no Cambodians could see her.

Also, my girlfriend normally dresses conservatively but when she gets out of the country she starts showing off cleavage like she's Mrs. Felgerkarb.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Wanker Wat wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:34 pm Also, my girlfriend normally dresses conservatively
That means she wears safety-shorts.

BTW, is this the same 'girlfriend' from the disastrous Hong Kong trip, or where ever it was you dragged her, or is this the budding ACE student, or both!
Wanker Wat wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:34 pmshe starts showing off cleavage like she's Mrs. Felgerkarb.
Nice
ImageImage
aisaexplore
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aisaexplore »

This is just eating behavior, right? Nothing else is odd?
I think eating habit can be changed if you and your girlfriend stay in a new place longer, their body system has to adapt the local environment eventually, but it takes time.
Or she just likes you so much, and want your attentions all the time.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Brody wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:52 pm

BTW, is this the same 'girlfriend' from the disastrous Hong Kong trip, or where ever it was you dragged her, or is this the budding ACE student, or both!

Wasn't the ACE student NKOTB's bride?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

(Generalizing)
I find that some/many reasonably well travelled ‘barang’ have quite broad tastes, while asians are generally very conservative and insular outside of their comfort zone, and enormously sensitive to what we might consider small differences. Rice types and methods of cooking for example.

When the other half went to Malaya with me last year, beyond fruits, she hardly ate anything for the first few days as nothing was to her liking. I wasn’t too surprised- in the past, working with another airline, the local cabin crew rarely ate food in Oman or Malaya unless of Indian or bengali origin. In Malaya in particular, they frequently cited the smells as being wrong- cooking oils and spices both.
You and I might not think twice about it, but consider this-
When I go to the market with the ‘missus*’, where You and I might be content in how we select fruit, she will be sniffing and rejecting the same fruits. I defer to her better judgment, as I’m sure we’ve lost some of that selectivity over time. My aunt (of French extraction) is rather the same.

It’s worth being cautious when labelling some as fussy as I have done in the past, as it’s possible to miss some important warning signs.

*term of endearment known to raise the hackles of at least one reader
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:39 pm

Possibly...but I was referring to the well known Gavin Mac / Cam Nivag / Wanker Wat sock puppet; PhnomRon:

Take a gander: ask-the-expats-questions-answers/intens ... 25702.html
Wanker Wat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Wanker Wat »

Well here’s another thing. I can’t recall her ever complaining about dirt, insects, unsanitary restaurants conditions, etc. in Cambodia. That stuff seems to offend her a bit more when outside Cambodia. But I’m sure a lot of Americans are like that too.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 amfank yoo
'Thanks you' is what I receive a lot. For some reason the difference between 'thanks' and 'thank you' is not common knowledge east of the Mekong river.
Wanker Wat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Wanker Wat »

Brody wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:25 pm
prahocalypse now wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:39 pm

Possibly...but I was referring to the well known Gavin Mac / Cam Nivag / Wanker Wat sock puppet; PhnomRon:

Take a gander: ask-the-expats-questions-answers/intens ... 25702.html
That Hong Kong trip wasn’t disastrous. It was near disastrous, but for my Indiana Jones move. The rest of it was fine, Star Ferry, the Peak, the night market, etc. She didn’t like Space Mountain at Disneyland though.

I highly recommend taking Cambodian wives and girlfriends to Hong Kong and Macau. Macau is visa on arrival (they may ask them to show 5000 MOP in cash ) and the Hong King visa is easy to get. It beats another trip to Bangkok or Singapore or Kuala Lumpur.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Wanker Wat wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:34 pm I highly recommend taking Cambodian wives and girlfriends to Hong Kong and Macau.
That would require some careful logistics.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic