HELP! Korean Kookmin Bank stole all our 1.5 Million USD investment- Cambodia corruption at its best.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Lee.Howard
Tourist
United States of America

HELP! Korean Kookmin Bank stole all our 1.5 Million USD investment- Cambodia corruption at its best.

Post by Lee.Howard »

This is a real and perfect scam that can only happen in modern days in the country of Cambodia and it happened to us.
You will be amazed at how it is done by the Foreign Big Bank under the court and political system and the culture in the Kingdom.
We came to Cambodia in 2009 purely for investment, all cash.
Never borrow a penny from any bank, do no know of any bank. never heard of Kookmin Bank of Korea.
Apparently, as we learned that Korean Kookmin Bank opened the first Cambodia branch in Phnom Penh in late 2009, we came to Cambodia in the late fall of 2009.
We did not know of them, we did not know they existed. But 2 years later, our 1.5 Million USD entire investment was stolen by Korean Kookmin without any of my contact, or any of my knowledge.
What was discovered was the Kookmin Manager was involved with a private-lending with an individual (Lim Laing Chhay) and they collaborated to use my hotel as their personal collateral. So the proceed of the fund was funnel from my hotel to this individual through the help of Kookmin Bank and mostly the manager.
IN the subsequent post, I will expose to the detail of their operation and how Kookmin Bank uses the Cambodia Court system to gain the thievery and swallowed our 1.5 Million dollar business hotel investment.

I have written letters to the PM HE since Nov 2018, not yet any response.

BRIEF: Kookmin Bank robbed our Hotel Business by producing a fraudulent document*1 with a fake notary.
We are American family, invested $1.5 million (USD $1,500,000.00) in Cambodia in 2010, a year later, our hotel business got destroyed and seized by Kookmin Bank without our knowledge while in our absence.
Unbeknownst to us, started around May 2010, the Bank engaged privately through the personal loan*2 mechanism laundered $500,000 USD to its private client CHHAY and manipulated to take our hotel as collateral*1 by concocting a fake board resolution fraudulently notarized by a Commune Chief in our absence. Upon our discovery (12 July 2011) of their secret dealings, the Bank cooked up criminal charges against us, played the colluded corrupt games to have the Cambodia Court issued WARRANTS for our ARREST, and forced us, the Americans to flee the country.

*1 In justifying their thievery of our hotel, the Bank employed solely on a fraudulently-fabricated fake board resolution to seize and destroy our Hotel Business, this fake document was notarized on 20 May 2010 during our absence from Cambodia by a corrupt Commune Chief as we’ve never appeared in front of him. Anywhere in the world that is enough facts to overthrow Kookmin Bank’s illegal seizure of our hotel, but not in Cambodia. For 7 years, the justice has not come from the Cambodia Court.

*2 25 June 2010, Korean Kookmin Bank granted its client CHHAY a PERSONAL LOAN on the pretense that CHHAY is the owner of my Company Hotel business and illegally used my Hotel as BANK’S collateral.
The detail of this fake document is discussed in great length in this letter.

This is my first post, more to follow, hope to get some feedback.
We haven't been to Cambodia for the past 5 years due to our safety concerns.

anyone can offer insight and advice would be greatly appreciated.
any question, please ask.
the document will be provided when needed.
Thank you for reading the post.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: HELP! Korean Kookmin Bank stole all our 1.5 Million USD investment- Cambodia corruption at its best.

Post by Kammekor »

I am sorry to hear you lost a fair bit of money.

I know Cambodia is a corrupt country, and justice is extremely hard to find, but did you take all the precautions?

Did you own the land?
Did you check, double check, and triple check there were no claims on the land, the land was not a (cut) part of another plot owned by a third person, the land was not used as a collateral by a third person, the land was part of some government development program, etc etc.
Did you have a hard title to proof ownership of the land?

All those things are extremely hard to check in Cambodia even now, and I know back in 2009 it was much worse, so maybe, just maybe, when you obtained the land the scam happened already?
Wanker Wat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: HELP! Korean Kookmin Bank stole all our 1.5 Million USD investment- Cambodia corruption at its best.

Post by Wanker Wat »

Who is Chhay? Your tuk tuk driver?
Kinetic
Expatriate
France

Post by Kinetic »

Hi Howard,
I wonder if you will be able to find help on this forum, I hope. It's not classic case. You need a solid lawyer.
I can just deplore your situation. It's intolerable.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Something fishy here.
Cash
English sounds west african
Anonymous accusations carry little weight.
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

The bank's website is completely insecure, doesn't have SSL cert :facepalm:
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Lee.Howard wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:05 pm ...
Are you related to No Joke Howard?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Lee.Howard wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:05 pm We are American family
Why do you write like English is not your first language?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Maybe the family is Korean? Cambodian laws might not mean much, but has the OP tried going after the bank through contacts in South Korea? Fraud is actually against the law over there. Wish him good luck.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

explorer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:09 am
Lee.Howard wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:05 pm We are American family
Why do you write like English is not your first language?
Many Nigerian Prince s are now American citizens and now are rightly able to claim to be an American family. The most common way to deal with problems with money is to either email total strangers and offer it to them if one has too much of it or to post anonymous allegations on a public forum to total strangers if you have been cheated. The Nigerian way so to speak, sticks with you like white on rice, and has always worked for me.

If you send me $3000 in itunes prepaid cards, I can facilitate the return of the money.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic