Expat claims he got $2000 in fake bills at ABA bank on Monivong

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Expat claims he got $2000 in fake bills at ABA bank on Monivong

Post by phuketrichard »

Forgery experts at KEB Hana Bank, where one of the bogus notes was discovered, described the fake bills as “the first of a new kind of supernote ever found in the world”.

South Korean authorities say they have no idea how many of the counterfeit notes are in circulation in the country, and suspect an unknown number may have entered financial systems in other nations.

Previous forged $100 bills thought to have originated from North Korea have been dated from 2001 or 2003.

The new notes are dated from 2006, and are said to be of a much higher quality than counterfeit currency that has come out of North Korea in the past.
https://www.illicit-trade.com/2017/12/f ... rth-korea/

Back in the 80's when i used to deal with large amounts of currencies we would get 2-3 fake$100's /$20,000
now its up
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Big'n wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:44 am
Arget wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:29 am
explorer wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:06 am
Stinkman wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:45 am If they were very high quality fakes, you wouldn't know it immediately without scouring each one, and even that wouldn't guarantee you catch it. There are some incredible counterfeiters out there as technology has improved. North Korea is notoriously expert at mass-making fake $100s.

North Korea makes fakes, that even the experts cannot distinguish from the genuine.
I think you should go to Wat Phnom and set up a throne and a sign saying "I know everything, just ask me"

PS. Please explain your statement _( North Korea makes fakes, that even the experts cannot distinguish from the genuine.)_
Show some evidence to support your claim and identify the "experts" and their qualifications in this field. =@
I have no experts on offer for an arrogant asshole, but I know for fact that the North Koreans have been been making what they call "super bills" that are good enough to fool anyone.
Sorry if I asked for verification of a claim made me arrogant and an asshole all at once. I acknowledge that because You know for a "fact" the NK are making them good enough to fool anyone means you have evidence to back up your claims but due to security issues you cannot disclose the details.

Apologies for being an arrogant asshole your excellency.. =@
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

=@
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

PhnomRon wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:44 am [mod edit: name calling not needed ]

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-ne ... dqbaI.html
Google told you that the hindustan times reported one (1) note has been found.

If there are these notes in Cambodia how does any normal punter know they have ever got them and why would they be refused by local banks?

The op said he noticed half his notes were fake before taking them back to the bank. If he could tell they were fake then surely the bank teller would have noticed when they counted them out to him.

When I have withdrawn a large amount the teller counts them out in front of me. =@
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I agree, a teller would have known and i seriously doubt the bank would try and "pass" fake notes on
hence reason i say BS to the story,
now if he had said he got them from an atm........
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

PhnomRon wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:19 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:14 pm Whether true or not, that is the third report of fake $100 bills posted here this month that accuses Phnom Penh ABA bank ATMs.
Are these reports all down to scams, drama queens on social media, light-fingered ladies of the night, or is it the ATMs ?
If anyone spots other reports like this, please post.

general-chatter/counterfeit-100-bills-f ... ey#p305606
post306787.html?hilit=ATM%20fake%20money#p307115
His report doesn’t involve an ATM. You can’t get $4000 from an ATM.
I can get $4000 out of an ABA ATM in one transaction, done it many times.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I got a number of fake $100's otc from an Acleda last year.

Really fake, actually "ghost money".

Acleda investigated it after I made and escalated an official complaint, and eventually said no, not possible.

Cannot happen/has never happened OTC in their bank. Told me if I had got them through an ATM they would immediately refund, as it does happen through third parties who fill the machines.

Threatened me with legal action in the end.

Now I just get paid into Acleda, immediately withdraw all and put into my ABA.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

I have had $50 scribbled on and $20 torn out of ABA atm recently. they do not seem the check the quaity of the notes they put in.
TBF I am on the poing of junking ABA anywhat because their service is too slow. A victim of their own success. i been timing myself at acleda and ABA and average wait time in Acleda for counter service under 10 minutes, ABA 30 minutes plus. And Acleda fill out all the forms for me whicl ABA make me do it myself. Oh, and final insult is there is always a big q for ABA ATM and twice recently the bloody thing has run out of cah by the time i get there
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

LaudJohn wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:25 am
PhnomRon wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:19 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:14 pm Whether true or not, that is the third report of fake $100 bills posted here this month that accuses Phnom Penh ABA bank ATMs.
Are these reports all down to scams, drama queens on social media, light-fingered ladies of the night, or is it the ATMs ?
If anyone spots other reports like this, please post.

general-chatter/counterfeit-100-bills-f ... ey#p305606
post306787.html?hilit=ATM%20fake%20money#p307115
His report doesn’t involve an ATM. You can’t get $4000 from an ATM.
I can get $4000 out of an ABA ATM in one transaction, done it many times.
Beers on LaudJohn!
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Do Acleda have the a phone App. ?

I use ABA for payments of bills, rent transfers and adding credit to phone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic