Indonesia getting tough on damaged passports.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Indonesia getting tough on damaged passports.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I haven't engaged much here for a while so not sure if there's a thread already. Had a quick look and couldn't find anything.

Indonesia has been turning tourists away who have damaged passports and charging the airlines who carried them $5000 each time they refuse entry. Last year flying from KL to Medan Air Asia almost didn't let me board because of my mildly warn document. i went and picked up a visa from the Indonesian Consulate here in Perth tofday with the officer telling me that my passport wouldn't be accepted in future attempts to get a visa. I wonder what the airline on Saturday is going to say when I try to check in.

Just a heads-up if you've got a slightly shitty passport and you're going to Indonesia.

Indonesian authorities fining airlines $5000 if carrying passengers with damaged passports.

Bali-bound passengers with damaged passports are being denied boarding in Perth because of new tighter restrictions and fines imposed by Indonesian authorities.

After an incident in November when a British couple were denied entry to Bali because one passport was slightly chewed by their dog, airlines say that Indonesian authorities are now enforcing a $US5000 fine on airlines if they carry passengers with damaged passports, while the passengers are sent home.

One passenger told The West Australian she and her partner were not able to board a Batik Air flight at Perth Airport on Christmas Day because his nine-year- old passport was “slightly damaged”.

The passenger was told by Batik Air staff that “Denpasar is enforcing a policy whereby if a passenger has the slightest imperfection with their passport, they will fine the airline $5000 and send the passenger home”.
https://thewest.com.au/news/aviation/da ... 881060834z