Khmer short film"Deliro"

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Khmer short film"Deliro"

Post by phnompenhsteve »

I'm a Canadian filmmaker currently living in Phnom Penh and hoping to contribute something to the Cambodian film scene.
Here is my first short shot here.
Comments, critiques, and feedback, always welcome:)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Khmer short film"Deliro"

Post by General Mackevili »

That was really weird, but I guess you already know that. I think I saw some drone footage. Did you get a permit or just wing it?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

The look of it was quite good but what the hell was the subject matter? Any meaning behind the surrealness was lost on me. If it has no real-world significance other than being a piece of video perfromance art then it wasn't strange enough or powerful enough to empart emotion or reaction.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

It seems high quality and quite artistic, and as such, I don't understand it at all. You definitely have talent, but this short doesnt necessarily make me want to watch more of your work.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Khmer short film

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Yes I am well aware of how weird it was.HAHAHA

No, my DP had a camera mounted on a pole.
Shown here:

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 pm That was really weird, but I guess you already know that. I think I saw some drone footage. Did you get a permit or just wing it?
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Hey thanks for the feedback.
It was just an experimental short and was done more for visuals than anything else. I am working on fleshing out the idea and releasing future installments that are more straightforward, but I've also heard interpretations that I'd never even thought of before. So people can really take it how they want.
Stinkman wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:13 am The look of it was quite good but what the hell was the subject matter? Any meaning behind the surrealness was lost on me. If it has no real-world significance other than being a piece of video perfromance art then it wasn't strange enough or powerful enough to empart emotion or reaction.
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Hey thanks I do appreciate the feedback.
It was meant to be more artistic than a coherent story, although I do have ideas as to what the backstory is and am thinking of fleshing it out a bit more in the future.
It may not make you want to watch more of my work, and I will keep that in mind in the future as I do more engaging work.
I am still a novice when it comes to actually filming(have been writing for a long time) but am using each experience to learn and improve.
RickyBobby wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:38 am It seems high quality and quite artistic, and as such, I don't understand it at all. You definitely have talent, but this short doesnt necessarily make me want to watch more of your work.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:23 am Hey thanks I do appreciate the feedback.
It was meant to be more artistic than a coherent story, although I do have ideas as to what the backstory is and am thinking of fleshing it out a bit more in the future.
It may not make you want to watch more of my work, and I will keep that in mind in the future as I do more engaging work.
I am still a novice when it comes to actually filming(have been writing for a long time) but am using each experience to learn and improve.
RickyBobby wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:38 am It seems high quality and quite artistic, and as such, I don't understand it at all. You definitely have talent, but this short doesn't necessarily make me want to watch more of your work.
To me, the filmography is better than the story line (what story line?) some kids playing tag while wearing masks. So, to me, your technical work is good, you just need to flesh your message out more. This is like an art piece that leaves me scratching me head. Not in a bad way though like sometimes when I ask WTF did I just watch? I'd say you've got talent, and keep on keeping on.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Hey thanks I do appreciate that.
Got more on the go that'll make a bit more sense:)
RickyBobby wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:47 am
phnompenhsteve wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:23 am Hey thanks I do appreciate the feedback.
RickyBobby wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:38 am It seems high quality and quite artistic, and as such, I don't understand it at all. You definitely have talent, but this short doesn't necessarily make me want to watch more of your work.
To me, the filmography is better than the story line (what story line?) some kids playing tag while wearing masks. So, to me, your technical work is good, you just need to flesh your message out more. This is like an art piece that leaves me scratching me head. Not in a bad way though like sometimes when I ask WTF did I just watch? I'd say you've got talent, and keep on keeping on.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I held off commenting cause didn't want to come across as, "a hater" but have to agree .
The technical ability of the film maker is good, (except for some of the cutting) ...BUT...it made no sense at all to me
no theme, no story line
no beginning, middle, end

Off topic a bit but
this is an independent film which i truly enjoyed, ( much better than Joiles film) and that crappy Cambodian prison film)
beautifully filmed and has a great story line

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic