Cambodian Song Lyrics (requests welcome)

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Cambodian Song Lyrics (requests welcome)

Post by finbar »

KTV so have to pay money!
She looks like the kind of girl who would come out ahead from a KTV session.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
CBEQ
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CBEQ »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:49 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:47 pm
CBEQ wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:39 pm I have another one I am curious about getting translated. It is the "morning song" I listen to as I prepare for work.

on it brother, if get time tonight ill do it before my taxi to Bangkok Airport or ill do it when i get back to Cambodia tomorrow :beer3:
For you to understand the song i might have to tell you the back story...
This songs actually a very old folk tale called "Tum Teav" and its about a young 16 year old girl called Teav who meets a young monk called Tum, they both end up falling in love with each other, but due to him Monk he cant have any contact with a girl, so they end up forming a secret relationship, but the girls mother ends up finding out, forbids him from seeing her daughter anymore, the mother arranges for her to marry a couple of other high ranking Suitors, one being the king, the young monk finds out, declares his love for her and kisses her in front of everyone, one of the betrothed gets enraged and orders his guard to kill the young monk, Teav is distraught and kills herself next to his body, its a Cambodian Romeo & Juliet story lol (the song is obviously full of metaphors about their hopeless love and secret relationship) heres a link to the story for more detail.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tum_Teav

ហូ....ហូ....ហូ....ហូ....ហូ
Oh...Oh...Oh...Oh

ឱ!ស្ពាន ជាលាណាត់គ្នាថ្ងៃស្អែក ចម្រៀងទាវឯក ច្រៀងស្រែកផ្តែផ្តាំស្រែស្រក
Oh! Spean, Jia Lea Nat Knea Tngai Saaek, Jomreung Teav Aek, Jreung Sraek Ptae Ptam Srae Srok
Oh, the bridge, at light tomorrow agree to meet me, my song, i sing it out loud that the fields are losing water

ឱ!ភ្នំបាធាយ រៀបរាយពីក្ដីស្រណោះ ធម្មជាតិក្រៀមក្រោះ រស់បានដោយទឹកសន្សឹម
Oh! Phnom Bateay, Reub Reay Pi Kdey Sronus, Tomm Jiat Kreum Kraos, Ros Ban Daoy Dtuk Sonsum
Oh, the Bateay Mountain, almost divided from yearning, natures drying out, living for water little by little

សារិការសួរមេឃ សេកសួរបង្គង ទាវសុំផ្ដាំផង បងអើយកុំភ្លេចរឿងដើម
Sarika Suar Mek Sek Suar Bongkong, Teav Som Pdam Pong, Bong Ery Kom Plech Reung Derm
The blackbirds ask the clouds to shower their homes, I also beg to my darling don't forget about in the beginning

ខ្ញុំនឹកប្រុសថ្លៃ រាល់ថ្ងៃស្ទើរផុតដង្ហើម បើបងស្អប់ខ្ពើម សូមឆ្លើយតបវិញកុំខាន
Khnom Nuk Bros Thlai Roal Tngai Ster Put Dangherm, Ber Bong Saob Kperm, Som Chhlery Tab Vinh Kom Khan
I miss my dearest every day that i almost stop breathing, if you are fed up with me, please reply without fail

យល់ថ្នល់កែង ថ្នល់បំបែកបាធាយ យល់សាឡាង រៀបរៀងចាំទទួលប្រាណ
Yol Tnol Kaeng, Tnol Bombaek Bateay, Yol Salang, Reum Reung Jam Tortual Bran
Know that the path bends, the path breaks up around Bateay, know that the ferry, arranging to wait to receive strength

ប្រៀបដូចជា សត្វដើរខំគេចព្រាន គង់ឃើញដាន ទុកនៅជាសញ្ញា
Breub Doch Jia, Sot Der Kom Kech Prean, Kong Khernh Dan, Tuk Nov Jia Sanha
The same as an animal walking trying to avoid the hunter, protecting itself from their tracks being seen, still keeping their word

បងកុំស្មានថាអូនបែកបែរចិន្ដា ប្រាថ្នាស្ម័គ្រ ជំពាក់ចិត្តថ្មីណាស្នេហ៍
Bong Kom Sman Tha Oun Baek Baer Chenda, Pratna Smaek, Jompeak Jet Tmey Na Snei
Darling don't assume that i've changed my thoughts, i desire you completely, owing a new heart which loves

ផាហុំហ៊ុម ទាវឯកទុកចែកឲ្យបង គ្រានទុកទ្រាប់ខ្នងជាប់ខ្លួនទើបបានជាកេរ
Pa Hum, Teav Aek Tuk Taek Aoy Bong, Kroan Tuk Troab Knong Joab Kluan Terb Ban Jia Ker
My silk skirt, I keep to give to you, just to keep under next to yourself then it can be our secret

បើបងភ្លេចអស់ អូនស៊ូតែនៅទំនេរ មិនហ៊ានឲ្យគេ ថែទេព្រោះមិនដូចបង
Ber Bong Plech Os, Oun Sou Tae Nov Tomner, Min Hean Aoy Ke, Thae Te! Proas Min Doch Bong
If you forget everything, i'll be brave but still available, I don't dare to let them take care! because they're not like you

heres a 2003 movie of the story

(ps. the endings savage as fuck haha)
Thank you so much. I appreciate the backstory and the translation. I'll be sure to watch the movie.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

What's this bint on about @Jamie_Lambo ?

B1.Barang
Expatriate

Post by B1.Barang »

Oh wow,,, so good at translation!
We can meet up at Khmer KTV one day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

B1.Barang wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:38 pm Oh wow,,, so good at translation!
We can meet up at Khmer KTV one day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:good:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

This is great stuff Jamie, thanks. It’s funny that a bricklayer has this gift.I will get my daughters to read the stuff. I bought the Mekong sunset song from iTunes. I should have bought the album. Great production, I love the sound. And for me unbelievably prescient,
My missus seriously off the rails here for more than eight months already. An alcoholic, smokes dope and uses ecstasy and whatever else. Now bi sexual, she has so many male and female friends.
But she is tall and leggy and busty and stunningly exotic. So why am surprised. But her English is still terrible but she is so outgoing it doesn’t matter. I played the song twice when we were out in the spirts car the other day. She loved it, it’s her to a t. There is a line that sums it up. “ are you looking for something you can’t find”. She rang me late last night saying she wanted to kill her self som lap kluen. She was always a great beer drinker, as am I. But now she easily knocks back a couple of bottles of red and then goes on with whiskey! I think she will come to a sticky end.
stevereeno
Expatriate
Japan

Post by stevereeno »

if you have time, this is one of my favorites:
Kyong Kdot Tirk Jon - Sinn Sisamouth
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

stevereeno wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:45 am if you have time, this is one of my favorites:
Kyong Kdot Tirk Jon - Sinn Sisamouth
nice song, will try get it done later today if i avoid the temptation of going for a beer :D :beer3:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
CBEQ
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by CBEQ »

Hello Jamie,

Could you translate the old classic Bong srolanh te Oun by Sinn Sisamuth?

I remember telling my wife it sounded romantic, but then she told me it was basically a song about a one night stand.

Thanks!
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

So still new to this forum.
You may have already done it but do you know the song "ចេញអោយឆ្ងាយ៉?
I am learning the words,and would be helpful to have a set of English lyrics, but I cant seem to find any online.
Thanks
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:54 pm I sometimes get asked to translate Cambodian songs into English,
Its something i enjoy doing anyway and do it a lot in my spare time for studying/practicing my Khmer, probably about 3-4 songs a week,
So if anyone has any song requests they would like, feel free to drop a message here or PM,

Ps. I cant guarantee the songs to be completely bulletproof, translating/interpreting Khmer>English is sometimes hard to be completely accurate, but they should be close enough

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic