Laptop buying

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Laptop buying

Post by pczz »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:06 am
pczz wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:45 pm Around the junction of Kampuchea krom and st171. west side of 171 and south side of kampuchea krom. Several along there for abpout 2 blcoks cheaper than Chantra, who also have a branch over the road. place called IT computer over the road has asus. Watch out for grey imports with thai keyboards. BCS comouter had a good deal on acer gaming laptops,several shops but not much english from there west up to 2 blocks. BCS will sell you an original windows pro for $70 if you ask nicely with a new laptop. DO NOT BUY windows 10 home

WHY?
i just got a new laptop while back in the states and came with wndows 10
at first didn't like it but found a site, https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make ... -windows-7
and i now am quite happy with it
The major problem with windows 10 home is that you have zero control over when and how often updates are applied but you have limited control using windows home pro, and you can delay updates if you want to, so some other poor schmuck helps microsoft iron out the bugs and crashes and not you.
Second issue is registry setings. Windows udates will reset registry settings you have made in windows 10 from time to time. With pro you get the policy editor. Any changes you make in the policy editor are not overridden by updates as they are reapplied every time you boot. there are numberous settings whcih you need to change if you are at all concerned about your privacy. it take me about an hour to do ona fresh load.
Sometimes windows even trashed the policy editor by removing bits from that. the latest version disables some polices in pro and tkaes them away, but Microsoft cannot go too far with that. pro is designed to connect to a network and therefore the network admin has to have some control.
Finally some features are in pro and not in home. they are more of interest to people wanting to conect to home orbusiness networks home networks or wanting to use virtual machines. Summary here
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... be21b534e1
personally i am now so sick of microsoft recording every time I scratch my nose I have abandoned windows other than for games. The last straw for me was the latest update which does an internet search by default using edge and bing regardless of your browser and search settings. This is in response to people using chrome and google which means bing does not get to collect data on you that microsoft can sell. trouble is Bing is an awful search engine. I removed edge from my pc and have it blocked in the firewakll as microsoft uses it foir various monitoring tasks. Open office and ubuntu do everything I need, bitt faster and are free. if I want to play a game or write software i boot into windows, if its anything else its ubuntu.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Laptop buying

Post by phuketrichard »

I deleted all the new windows 10 shit

- Cortana Assistant
- Microsoft Edge web browser
- Continuum tablet mode for touch-capable devices
- Windows Hello face-recognition, iris and fingerprint login
- universal Windows apps like Photos, Maps, Mail, Calendar, Music and Video

and use duck duck go for SE an it is the same searching as my other laptop running windows 7
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic