New driving license procedure for foreigners

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: New driving license procedure for foreigners

Post by davegorman »

khmerhamster wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:28 pm
davegorman wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:05 pm
davegorman wrote:
Same goes for a car. No licence no insurance no car!
Since when is insurance mandatory? Plenty of uninsured cars and trucks on the road.
If they can find a reason to get cash they will. Also, any barang not insured is asking for trouble. Pretty stupid not to insure your car seeing as it costs peanuts.
Pretty stupid to pay a no insurance fine to police.
KOW.
Cricket99
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Cricket99 »

So this morning, in Phnom Penh, a copper told me I needed a licence for below 125cc, I have a "b" licence, which I didn't have on me at the time :(, but afaik there is no actual licence for below a 125cc. I kept telling him there is no licence below 125cc but he kept insisting. I know technically foreigners are not exempt from the below 125cc no licence "law" and this is the first time I have ever been asked to show a licence, what would be the alternative? Get a big bike licence? He gave up eventually but is this a new thing in the capital?
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Why did he stop you in the first place?
Cricket99
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Cricket99 »

davegorman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:24 am Why did he stop you in the first place?
Wrong way on a one way street, my bad. Paid the fine, but it was an interesting conversation. I suspect he was trying to shake me down, to no avail, just checking to see if anyone else has had the same experience.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Cricket99 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:31 am
davegorman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:24 am Why did he stop you in the first place?
Wrong way on a one way street, my bad. Paid the fine, but it was an interesting conversation. I suspect he was trying to shake me down, to no avail, just checking to see if anyone else has had the same experience.
I always carry a copy of my licence but I’ve never lost that copy in six years so maybe I could just carry the original!
Cricket99
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Cricket99 »

davegorman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:39 am
Cricket99 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:31 am
I always carry a copy of my licence but I’ve never lost that copy in six years so maybe I could just carry the original!
There is no licence for below 125cc afaik, so what is the correct alternative? From what I understand my "b" licence does not count for driving a scooter, whether I had it on me or not.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I kept telling him there is no licence below 125cc but he kept insisting. I know technically foreigners are not exempt from the below 125cc no licence "law"
I think the requirement is not clear as it applies to foreigners but in any event they will look for any reason to get their tea money..
what would be the alternative? Get a big bike licence?
I did even tho I ride under 125cc. Removes one possible reason for them to ping me...then again, I haven't been pulled over to test it (altho one did try to a few mths ago and I just did a runner)..
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

If they think they can scam you they will try, especially if you’re a milk bottled skinned backpacker.

B licence is fine and they often don’t bother to look at it if you wave it at them.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

clutchcargo wrote:
I kept telling him there is no licence below 125cc but he kept insisting. I know technically foreigners are not exempt from the below 125cc no licence "law"
I think the requirement is not clear as it applies to foreigners
A good test for this would be the next person that reads this thread and goes to get a licence tries applying for a small bike licence at the DoT. I'm confident you will find you can't, because it no longer exists.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

My friend got her car licence and then had lessons, because she couldn’t drive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic