The Tourist Monk Strikes Again! (with pictures)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: The Tourist Monk Strikes Again! (with pictures)

Post by General Mackevili »

dagenham wrote:
Yeah, he's the one that I kicked in the bum one time. We almost had a fight. He's a big bloke and it would have made some great footage - us fighting to the death.
The restaurant owner where I was sitting said the guy almost got in a fight with some dudes a few weeks ago. Pesky monk.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

General Mackevili wrote:
dagenham wrote:
Yeah, he's the one that I kicked in the bum one time. We almost had a fight. He's a big bloke and it would have made some great footage - us fighting to the death.
The restaurant owner where I was sitting said the guy almost got in a fight with some dudes a few weeks ago. Pesky monk.
Pesky "fake" monk...if we all spit on him when we see him he would decamp PP ASAP....
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

General Mackevili wrote:
dagenham wrote:
Pesky "fake" monk...if we all spit on him when we see him he would decamp PP ASAP....
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

dagenham wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:
Singularian wrote:There's 3 of them operating in Kompong Som at the moment too.
Yeah, they must have spread out.

The guy I took pictures of was not the one I've usually seen around street 172.
You would have had your helmet on and would have had the advantage. :Yahoo!:
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
dagenham wrote:
General Mackevili wrote:
Singularian wrote:There's 3 of them operating in Kompong Som at the moment too.
Yeah, they must have spread out.

The guy I took pictures of was not the one I've usually seen around street 172.
You would have had your helmet on and would have had the advantage. :Yahoo!:
Good point, Mate. I always have me helmet on. Even when me other wee helmet in the nether regions is leading the way...towards its target...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

In Monk’s Robes, a Foreign Wanderer Courts Western Donors

Huang Hung meandered through Phnom Penh’s tourist strips, alms bowl in hand, collecting money for his Buddhist pagoda thousands of kilometers away—or so he says.

The aging Taiwanese wanderer, a monk for “five or six years,” has been forced to travel far from his temple in Hubei, China, to solicit donations.

“It’s very hard to collect alms in China because people don’t believe,” Huang Hung said on the tourist-heavy Street 172. “Here, a lot of people believe—especially the Americans, Australians and British. They really believe in it.”

“It” is Theravada Buddhism, explains Huang Hung, who was in Thailand before making his way to Cambodia for a week on his temple’s behalf.

But despite practicing the most prevalent form of Cambodia’s national religion, Huang Hung doesn’t quite fit in.

It could be the neon-yellow robes, or his practice of collecting alms in the afternoon, or the fact that he doesn’t stay in one of the city’s many pagodas.

“I try some hostels and hotels,” he said when asked where he will reside while in the city. “And if they don’t give me accommodation [for free], I will look for something else.”

“I can’t communicate with [other monks] because I don’t speak Khmer. We don’t understand each other,” he said.

Huang Hung also has a much more aggressive style of collecting alms than his Cambodian counterparts. He engages his targets in conversation before removing jewelry from his own body to place on theirs.

Only as the exchange comes to a close with a blessing does Huang Hung tell his subjects that they have to pay for their new necklace or bracelet.

“A Khmer monk would not act like this. It is against the doctrine of Buddhism,” said Som San, 85, a monk of 30 years who lives at Wat Lanka.

“This kind of practice does not look good in the eye of worshipers. When people see foreign monks do this, they will devalue Khmer monks also,” he said.

Buddhist clergy and government officials say they have noticed a rising number of foreign monks in the city.

Khim Sorn, Phnom Penh’s chief monk, said that as long as Huang Hung did not force anyone to hand over money, he was not violating Buddhist doctrine.

But Phan Davy, director of the municipal department of cults and religion, expressed a less tolerant sentiment.

“This kind of practice is wrong,” Mr. Davy said when told of Huang Hung’s tactics.

“We consider this cheating,” he said.

Mr. Davy said he was not aware of any “fake monks” operating in Phnom Penh, but that his department would “take action” if they found any.

“We will cooperate with the immigration police to call them for educating and inform them to not to practice like this,” he said.

Huang Hung said such threats didn’t bother him, as his weeklong stint in Cambodia ends Friday, when he will fly to Hong Kong and continue to collect money for his temple.

“I am leaving in one week.....

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/in-mo ... ors-67749/

By CHAN CHEUK YIN AND OUCH SONY
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Itching powder down the robes might work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic