British guy no passport, no money, asking for cash on 172

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: British guy no passport, no money, asking for cash on 172

Post by rozzieoz »

I don’t give money to western guys but if they are good looking I’ll buy them a drink or ten. ;)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

RatanakBat wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:06 pm Obviously he's not the first, but what do people think about guys in this situation? Do you give them a dollar and wish them good luck, or just leave them to it?
I'm curious to know what the general consensus is on this kinda fella?
I’d just say no as I struggle to see how it could be anything other than their fault, or they’re lying
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:50 pm I don’t give money to western guys but if they are good looking I’ll buy them a drink or ten. ;)
I'm coming back in a couple of weeks; i'd like to take you up on your kind offer. I looked in the mirror this morning and wasn't completely nauseated by what I saw :beer1:

Sometime in my first few weeks of being in Cambodia last year, I overheard a yank playing to the audience with a tale of being robbed by a girl he met, down a few hundred bucks, camera, etc, western union not open at present, can he borrow 20bucks? Several days later he tried it directly on me.
I suspect we 'westerners' import to Cambodia an excess of petty scammers, and I've too little charity and too much cynicism to take it on face value
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I’d tell him to seek out an attractive and stylish white woman legendary for saving the downtrodden of PP. After 5 minutes he might realise life’s not that bad.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

RatanakBat wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm He had indeed been "robbed".
Surely the Embassy help they're own to some extent?
Coverstions with the britishh embassy are ususally quite short
How can we help you" followed by "no chance"
RatanakBat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RatanakBat »

Saw the same guy sat outside black pearl last night at about 6 pm. He's from Newcastle I think.
Didn't engage with him, but I assume his mini drama is over.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic