Expat Suspects Ex-Shanghai Bar Girl of Swapping Other Expat's Name on His Son's Birth Certificate

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Expat Suspects Ex-Shanghai Bar Girl of Swapping Other Expat's Name on His Son's Birth Certificate

Post by phuketrichard »

doesn't a name NEED be on the BC?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Expat Suspects Ex-Shanghai Bar Girl of Swapping Other Expat's Name on His Son's Birth Certificate

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:03 am
PhnomRon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:31 am According to the FB thread he has found Bona.

There doesn't seem to be any proof she forged anything. He just thinks she did because she won't give him the birth certificate. Oh and because she previously tried to scheme with him about getting his name forged onto her daughter's birth certificate in a similar way. She wouldn't give him the birth certificate, maybe because she did not trust what he was going to do with it. He then withdrew all financial support for his son as a leverage move to get the birth certificate. She then disappeared with the boy.
In the foreign dad dad is smart he takes Bona to the MoFA in Phnom Penh, with the Khmer birth certificate, and he asks for a legalized version there. He will get three legalized copies. He can keep one to himself, and maybe have that one legalized again at the Australian embassy (for a check it's an actual document from the MoFA). And he can give one to Bona for future use. That will be the bait for her cooperate.
Sorry, I don't get it..how is that the bait for Bona to co-operate? It's mentioned she's already got the birth certificate.. What's in it for her to give it to the father or a legalised copy? He's reportedly stopped financial support for the child in an attempt to get it. So by now she's probably suspicious that he wants it with a view to potentially getting custody of the child from her. No?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:07 am
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:03 am
PhnomRon wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:31 am According to the FB thread he has found Bona.

There doesn't seem to be any proof she forged anything. He just thinks she did because she won't give him the birth certificate. Oh and because she previously tried to scheme with him about getting his name forged onto her daughter's birth certificate in a similar way. She wouldn't give him the birth certificate, maybe because she did not trust what he was going to do with it. He then withdrew all financial support for his son as a leverage move to get the birth certificate. She then disappeared with the boy.
In the foreign dad dad is smart he takes Bona to the MoFA in Phnom Penh, with the Khmer birth certificate, and he asks for a legalized version there. He will get three legalized copies. He can keep one to himself, and maybe have that one legalized again at the Australian embassy (for a check it's an actual document from the MoFA). And he can give one to Bona for future use. That will be the bait for her cooperate.
Sorry, I don't get it..how is that the bait for Bona to co-operate? It's mentioned she's already got the birth certificate.. What's in it for her to give it to the father or a legalised copy? He's reportedly stopped financial support for the child in an attempt to get it. So by now she's probably suspicious that he wants it with a view to potentially getting custody of the child from her. No?
Well, you're right, The actual bait is just she will save 15-25 bucks if he pays the MoFA. Assuming she cares about a legalized BC. Maybe she isn't aware. Maybe she doesn't care.
A Cambodian birth certificate is as useful as a paper tissue outside of Cambodia, but needed for nearly every registration inside Cambodia. A legalized one from MoFA will be accepted outside Cambodia (although some countries require an extra legalization by their own embassy). If Ms. Bona foresees any activities for their child outside of Cambodia she will need it. Of course she doesn't need the father for this, she could go to the MoFA by herself.

I don't know why he wants the BC, I just know this is an option for the guy to obtain his version of the birth certificate. Not that it will grand him any rights, but he seems to care about obtaining it.

About getting custody, I wouldn't set my hopes to high on that if I were him.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ONE reason i can see, IF he was American and had the BC and his name is on it, ( married or not)
when he gets SS $$ he can get additional $$ for the child, up until the child is 18>
nice chunk of $$

other than that>>> ....

To get custody, he would need go to family court
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

He may well just want to get access rights..who knows? But making a threat by saying I'm withdrawing financial support until you give me the birth certificate is never going to be a good way to negotiate and get what you want imo
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:07 am she's probably suspicious that he wants it with a view to potentially getting custody of the child from her. No?
I'd bet that's it.

If he's American he'd need the birth certificate to register the sprogs birth, get him his citizenship, and a US passport. Then he's probably got ideas about taking off with the kid back to Florida or wherever.

But I think fathers flying with young children out of Cambodia need some kind of letter from the mother, no? I think I read that somewhere but I'm not sure.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:42 am ONE reason i can see, IF he was American and had the BC and his name is on it, ( married or not)
when he gets SS $$ he can get additional $$ for the child, up until the child is 18>
nice chunk of $$

other than that>>> ....

To get custody, he would need go to family court
The child needs to have lived in the states for a minimum of 5 years to receive any SS money and reside in the US
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Brody wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:56 am
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:07 am she's probably suspicious that he wants it with a view to potentially getting custody of the child from her. No?
But I think fathers flying with young children out of Cambodia need some kind of letter from the mother, no? I think I read that somewhere but I'm not sure.
Apparently not. I took my son alone to Europe & UK last summer and at no point was I challenged by any immigration officer. I initially thought the same and had a signed letter just in case, but wasn’t needed.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 am

Well, you're right, The actual bait is just she will save 15-25 bucks if he pays the MoFA. Assuming she cares about a legalized BC. Maybe she isn't aware. Maybe she doesn't care.
Sounds to me like she already has a birth certificate, with the father's name on it, and she doesn't want to give it to him.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 am He may well just want to get access rights..who knows? But making a threat by saying I'm withdrawing financial support until you give me the birth certificate is never going to be a good way to negotiate and get what you want imo

Agreed. Especially when the girl already has a new boyfriend/husband playing daddy to your kid.
Brody wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:56 am
If he's American he'd need the birth certificate to register the sprogs birth, get him his citizenship, and a US passport. Then he's probably got ideas about taking off with the kid back to Florida or wherever.

He's English, he'd be taking the kid back to Wigan or wherever.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic