No more Australia Network, dammit

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

No more Australia Network, dammit

Post by Soi Dog »

A great institution, and a wonderful advertisement for Australia, will stop broadcasting in Cambodia and all of SE Asia soon. Very sad news.
SydneyMorningHerald.com wrote:A dark day for Aussie expats in Asia as ABC names cut-off date for Australia Network
Date September 8, 2014 - 4:12PM

Bangkok: It's official. The lives of tens of thousands of Australian expatriates in Asia will change forever at midnight on September 28, hours after the AFL grand final.

A stake will be driven through our souls. For months we have been in denial: how could it be true that our government could close the ABC-managed Australia Network service?

No more footy.

No more Virginia Trioli's face smiling behind her dark glasses early on ABC News Mornings, bringing us up to date with the latest from home and abroad.

No more Tony Jones and Q&A.

No more Zoe Daniel and Jim Middleton fronting their program The World, a showcase news program in Asia (Middleton, a fine journalist, has taken a package and left the ABC after 44 years).

We won't of course miss some of the programming, like Channel Nine's The Block. But those of us who have been in Asia a while remember the sheepdog trials that were shown in the early days. Actually, I liked watching the sheepdog trials.

OK, I acknowledge I am writing this from the perspective of a passionate Collingwood supporter. I can't imagine what it will be like next season. I wake up in the night in a cold sweat thinking about the difficulties of trying to live-stream games on my dodgy internet.

But this is more than an atrocity inflicted on those of us out here deprived of Four'N Twenty meat pies.

For my children there will be no more Bananas in Pyjamas or Giggle and Hoot. How do you feel about that, Tony Abbott and Julie Bishop?

About 80 jobs have gone as a result of the axing of the network which has operated since 1993, then known as ATVI.

Lynley Marshall, the CEO of ABC International, announced the date of the closure in an email to staff and partners. "We will be terminating the Australia Network service at midnight Australian Eastern Standard time on Sunday the 28th of September. We apologise for any inconvenience," she wrote.

more...
http://www.smh.com.au/world/a-dark-day- ... 0drxk.html
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: No more Australia Network, dammit

Post by Joker Poker »

Oh Crap!

I wonder what the networks here will fill the void with?

More Khmer stuff with painted on moustaches, movies/soaps?

More Chinese movies with lots of people wearing silly hats - and those #*$@ing voice overs?

More propaganda?

Another K-pop channel?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

While Australian companies and business are looking towards Asia for future expansion and the OZ government is telling everyone that Australia is a part of Asia , and we need access to the markets in China , Japan , Korea and other countries around the Pacific rim, Why , Why , Why would short-sighted people do away with the most important advertising media that Australia has.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The user pays policy - a paying channel coming soon ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic