American blogger who hates America plans to "live the Cambodian dream"

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: American blogger who hates America plans to "live the Cambodian dream"

Post by Cruisemonkey »

DaveG wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:32 am How did you get on with the visa issues over there, As a Brit I'v been told I could only get a 3 month Visa, there does not appear to be a way to get retirement visa.
Eleven-and-a-half months ago, I came on a (no longer available) one-year, multiple entry Business visa. They're supposed to be re-instituting it... we shall see. I'm leaving to travel for two months (Feb. & March). If one-year visas are not available by April, I'll enter on a three-month, single entry Tourist visa ($15 + $25 'stamping fee') on arrival... and do 'visa runs'.
Last edited by Cruisemonkey on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
You could be next.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I'll enter on a three-month, single entry tourist visa ($15 + $25 'stamping fee) on arrival... and do 'visa runs'
HUH??
there is ONLY a 1 month single entry tourist visa GOOD for entry within 3 months for $30
extend for another 30 days for apx $40
Better enter on an ordinary visa, ( good for 30 days -$35) and than get a 6 month EG extension ( looking for work) apx $180

There NEVER was a 1 year visa
it was a 1 year EXTENSION.

Retirement extension available if over 55, but you cant legally work
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 am
I'll enter on a three-month, single entry tourist visa ($15 + $25 'stamping fee) on arrival... and do 'visa runs'
HUH??
there is ONLY a 1 month single entry tourist visa GOOD for entry within 3 months for $30
extend for another 30 days for apx $40
Better enter on an ordinary visa, ( good for 30 days -$35) and than get a 6 month EG extension ( looking for work) apx $180

There NEVER was a 1 year visa
it was a 1 year EXTENSION.

Retirement extension available if over 55, but you cant legally work
I'm talking about Vietnam... not Cambodia. :beer3:
You could be next.
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

Yeah I thought he sounded younger as well

hey good luck to him, I can imagine he will be as excited AF, I would be, I'm sure living there wont be for everyone though
I like to think that I will take the plunge one day and even though I've been there 5 times now on holidays I still cant really imagine the true challenge of living there, the confusion and language and culture and heat

Amuses me that some of you expats seem to get quite defensive or protective of Cambodia yet you often bitch about the place, why slag him off? You took the plunge at one time, maybe he needs your support not rubbing your hands together waiting to see him fail

Reminds me of when I was in Vietnam back in October, we got talking to a table of expats in Vung Tau, who literally go to the same bar every single night and drink themselves blind, most of the dudes at the table were too wasted to speak and the couple that did we saw an hour later and were legless, I mentioned that Snookie was being over run by the Chinese and they instantly said "yeah we know, as long as the expats stay away from Vung Tau and go somewhere else"
I guess that's part of the appeal yeah, drop out of western society, too many westerners around you defeats the purpose?

I can understand that, whenever we travel we avoid the Aussie sports bars and western pubs :)
Even the ugly ones
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

No one is slagging him off for wanting to move to Cambodia. That's not the issue. The issue is him acting like he knows all about the country and how perfect it is when he hasn't actually been here.
SaigonBilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by SaigonBilly »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:10 am No one is slagging him off for wanting to move to Cambodia. That's not the issue. The issue is him acting like he knows all about the country and how perfect it is when he hasn't actually been here.
Hearing about a place is not knowing about a place.
:please:
It's all good or or it's no good!
:D :evil6:
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

I agree, he will certainly be in for a shock

OK fuck him, lets have a sweep on how long he will last....
Even the ugly ones
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Extract from his blog Why the Cambodian Dream?

The short version is that the American dream is dead. Or, rather, it's nearly impossible to realize in America anymore unless you have a rich parent who gives you a small loan of a million dollars ( or $60 million, who's counting?). Jobs are being automated and/or outsourced. College tuition will put you into soul-crushing debt for life. Most of what's available you either have to bust your ass for in a state of near-obsession or you can waste away the years in cubicles, wanting to die. Since the minimum wage had remained largely stagnant for years and has fallen far behind a wage you can actually live on, home and car ownership can only be obtained through at least doubling your soul-crushing debt. They don't call it wage slavery for nothing. Hell of a dream, huh?

In Cambodia, however, making a living for a Westerner is easy. You can be an English teacher as long as you are a native English speaker and (preferably) have a TEFL or TESOL.http://www.livingthecambodiandream.com/ ... dream.html

Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:26 am
As a teacher, you can be paid anywhere from $1000 - $1400 per month.
Is he delusional? That sounds a lot for KOW..
Sounds about right. Possibly 30 hours per week at $10/hr and 4 weeks per month = $1200

But I believe they withhold at least 10% for tax nowadays which would make the take home $1080. Getting quite difficult to live much of a life on that in PP anymore. You can do it for a while, but eventually you want more out of life than cheap local street food and a tiny sweatbox room.

The fellow won't be contributing to the US Social Security system via payroll tax anymore, which will freeze his payments when he hits age 67 at quite a low level. For him that is only 18 years away. The more years you pay into that system the more you get out of it in retirement. If he has no savings he will desperately need that money in the future, if he lives long enough to collect it.

I hope for his sake he has some sort of long term plan.
Apexisto
Expatriate
Finland

Post by Apexisto »

He’s going to have fun in Happy Pizzerias and screwing around in clubs. Hopefully stays away from ”cocain” and girl bars.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic