Why isn't cycling more popular in Cambodia?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Why isn't cycling more popular in Cambodia?

Post by GMJS-CEO » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 pm

I ride for exercise, in Cambodia I did so very early mornings. In my opinion it is the most enjoyable form of exercise as you get to take in some sights while doing it.

Riding during the day takes away that enjoyment and replaces it with packed roads, traffic and heat.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 am

Roadie wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 pm
The bottom line is safety is used as an excuse for people who are too lazy to try. Same the world over.
Really. It is now 03:15, I am heading out for a 30K run and still think riding a bike in SE Asia is dangerous. I must be lazy :facepalm: .
lipservice
Expatriate

Post by lipservice » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Because the Khmers dont have Donald to suck up to ??
davegorman
Expatriate
France

Post by davegorman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:45 pm

hanno wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 am
Roadie wrote:
The bottom line is safety is used as an excuse for people who are too lazy to try. Same the world over.
Really. It is now 03:15, I am heading out for a 30K run and still think riding a bike in SE Asia is dangerous. I must be lazy :facepalm: .
Why so early? Plus it must mess up your body clock.

Isn’t that a bit too early. I run at 6am and the heat is manageable but then I don’t work so it doesn’t matter if I sweat.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:15 am

davegorman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:45 pm
hanno wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 am
Roadie wrote:
Why so early? Plus it must mess up your body clock.

Isn’t that a bit too early. I run at 6am and the heat is manageable but then I don’t work so it doesn’t matter if I sweat.
Sweating is not a problem in Sa Pa at the moment ;-)

Couple of reasons: I had my first meeting at 07:00 and I am training for an ultra so training for night running and running tired is all part of the training.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
Australia

Post by frank lee bent » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:46 am

Lipservice is on preview now for polluting the forum with shite. Banning coming up at next offence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic