Mystery Deaths: Two Korean Students Die of Unknown Causes During Cambodian Aid Work

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Mystery Deaths: Two Korean Students Die of Unknown Causes During Cambodian Aid Work

Post by explorer »

hanno wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 am
Na Hong-gyu(S. Korean embassy in Cambodia) : "We believe at the moment they died from excessive dehydration due to diarrhea as well as vomiting, pneumonia and low blood pressure-triggered cardiac arrest."
Again, I am no Doctor, but I find it hard to believe that two young, healthy students die within a day or two because of dehydration. I was pretty sick last week and lost 5 kilos in two days but once I got fluids in, I was OK within a day,
I have had what started out as vomiting the first day, and after that diarrhea, for 10 days. I lost a lot of weight, maybe 20 kg, and became weak, but I did not die.

I agree. Dying from dehydration so quickly is unlikely.

I have always thought, people die from chronic untreated diarrhea, which lasts a long time.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Mystery Deaths: Two Korean Students Die of Unknown Causes During Cambodian Aid Work

Post by explorer »

I believe they should do a through investigation. There have been too many unexplained deaths lately. Whatever killed them, could kill any one of us. We should know what to avoid.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:01 am
hanno wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 am
Na Hong-gyu(S. Korean embassy in Cambodia) : "We believe at the moment they died from excessive dehydration due to diarrhea as well as vomiting, pneumonia and low blood pressure-triggered cardiac arrest."
Again, I am no Doctor, but I find it hard to believe that two young, healthy students die within a day or two because of dehydration. I was pretty sick last week and lost 5 kilos in two days but once I got fluids in, I was OK within a day,
Yes, if the reports are true, this is very strange. They got reportedly ill on the 8th, they went to the hospital on the 8th according to the reports, and everyone knows the first ting they do in the hospital is put you on a drip.

Lethal dehydration in a matter of hours just seems so fast.

Having said that, I once nearly passed out after I did a six km run in the woods mid day and I didn't drink enough water at that time / afterwards, nor took the time for my body to cool down afterwards. I experienced heat combined with dehydration can be pretty serious.
Sure, dehydration is no joke but you'd have to lose up to about 10% of your weight for it to become lethal. They were not, as far as I am aware of, doing any strenuous exercise.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

hanno wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:43 am Sure, dehydration is no joke but you'd have to lose up to about 10% of your weight for it to become lethal. They were not, as far as I am aware of, doing any strenuous exercise.
Diarrhea causes dehydration. It is the dehydration that normally causes death.

I have always thought, diarrhea needs to last for a long time to get to the point where it is life threatening.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

explorer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:06 am
hanno wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:43 am Sure, dehydration is no joke but you'd have to lose up to about 10% of your weight for it to become lethal. They were not, as far as I am aware of, doing any strenuous exercise.
Diarrhea causes dehydration. It is the dehydration that normally causes death.

I have always thought, diarrhea needs to last for a long time to get to the point where it is life threatening.
A real risk for babies and the elderly. My daughter got sick just before me and was in bad shape after just a day. And I did lose 5% weight in two days, which is a fair bit. But die in a day or two from dehydration? Can't see that happening.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

explorer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:15 am I believe they should do a through investigation. There have been too many unexplained deaths lately. Whatever killed them, could kill any one of us. We should know what to avoid.
Virak busses, guns, knives, rice wine, meth heads, train tracks (no sleeping on), drunk Moto drivers.

Asia is full of dangers. Thousands of young people die everyday in the west in unexplained circumstances every week but it’s not reported.
Don’t become paranoid.

RIP to these two youngsters.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

davegorman wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 am Asia is full of dangers. Thousands of young people die everyday in the west in unexplained circumstances every week but it’s not reported.
Don’t become paranoid.
I agree, but I would still like to see this investigated.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

explorer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:21 am
davegorman wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 am Asia is full of dangers. Thousands of young people die everyday in the west in unexplained circumstances every week but it’s not reported.
Don’t become paranoid.
I agree, but I would still like to see this investigated.
How, where? Cambodia doesn’t have the facilities (or inclination) to investigate. It doesn’t have a freezer facility either so there’s no way the bodies can be inspected in their home country.

It’ll just be another sad death. In one week it’ll all be forgotten about by the majority until the next “unexplained death”.
console
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by console »

this is fucken terrifying .... seriously wtf did they eat ??? this is senseless ....
Freelance coder / web developer. I make REAL web applications.
c#, NodeJS, Python... Contact ME !! I work for 50c beers !!!
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

console wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:47 am this is fucken terrifying .... seriously wtf did they eat ??? this is senseless ....
I'm thinking a serial killer using poison targeting random expatriates.

:chin:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic