Attractive & Stylish White Woman is Helping Phnom Penh Street Kids

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Attractive & Stylish White Woman is Helping Phnom Penh Street Kids

Post by John Bingham »

I'm gonna sue every last one of you:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I said no such thing!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

It didn’t look like the police were thanking you last night.

What was that about? One of the kids told me you didn’t pay for a haircut and the salon owner called the cops.
Just going by what I was told, please set the record straight.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Hi Ellis,

It is good that you want to do something positive.

To be effective, you need to be professional in every way. You need to dress appropriately, use appropriate language and behave appropriately. If you dont behave in a professional manner, dont expect to get too much support, and expect to be criticized.

I recommend no alcohol or smoking around children. If you drink alcohol around children, you are a bad role model, even if you are doing other good things. You may finish up in jail for marijuana.

Many new arrivals start out doing something similar to you. To be really effective, you need to ask yourself if what you are doing results in a genuine improvement. You can find a room, and pay somebodies rent for 3 months. If at the end of 3 months they are homeless again, what have you achieved? You can buy things for them to sell, and when they have sold them all, they come back and ask you for more money, what have you achieved? See what actually happens. This will be a learning curve for you.

Things like helping children get a good education is something genuinely worthwhile. But you need to be in it for the long term. A good education takes years. Will you support them for years to come?

Dont waste your time attacking those who say negative things about you. Just get on and do good things.

To be really effective, you need to really understand them, and to really understand them you need to learn the language. You will understand much more when you can have conversations with all of the Cambodians you meet.

I hope it all goes well. It is up to you.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Big red/Ellis
It’s laudible that you have chosen to help those in need, and I believe this is not being argued.
...and have now slept on the road with. Rehomed and moved 2 separate families off the street into properties of there own with 3momth rent payed. the things they need to live and a business to go forward with my ongoing support.
However, the above quote somewhat epitomizes the approach and lack of long term thinking that you demonstrate in every outburst and broadcast that you make, and they are broadcasts, due to the fact that you are using a very public forum (Facebook) as the outlet for your ‘progress reports’. A forum that exists to engender just such discussions. The use of Facebook in itself should be a cause for some self-critique given that it has been so openly misused/abused/suffered its security issues over time. But that’s a whole other topic.

Back to that snippet above. 2 whole families. 3 months. Ongoing support (but by what means?). Great if you have the financial means to continue exactly as you have.

Imagine a truckload of supplies (food and bottled water) being delivered to an impoverished community as charity. Lots of effort, but benefits only in the short term, and the means are open to abuses. It’s an approach that was tried and tried over many years, by organizations with access to far greater resources, but which ultimately is flawed. Flawed because unless you can maintain without limit the supply of those goods, when the supplies run out, the people you choose to help are back where they started, albeit with a short amount of hope given, then taken away. Basically, disruption.

Did the kids benefit long term from covering up? Was that their desire, or your own prejudice about the poor people of the world? How do you go about deciding who is more worthy of your efforts.

You ask who here is helping (cover up these kids?) I can think of one or two characters, but that’s for them to discuss their methods if they so choose. You yourself are hardly well placed to judge many of those here who have commented, as you have taken less time to understand those people, while at the same time have arrived on this forum with your written ‘go f... yourselves’ attitude.
Some of the more considered replies to this topic have in one way or another been constructive criticism and advice. Advice that you would be well advised to consider, both for your own wellbeing as much as for those you choose to assist.

I’ll give you an example... of a scruffy urchin that’s often seen out selling trinkets on the streets each night. Dirty, grubby, looking desperately for a sale. I often joked that they should be doing their homework or sleeping. Truth was, they arrived home in a tidy school uniform, which was quickly shed in favour of the scruffy rags which are the costume by which they ply their trade. I’d seen the same small group of kids in a more family oriented picnic enjoying Pchum benh much like many other families. Is that the whole story? I very much doubt it. Keep peeling the onion, to find the juicier onion beneath

As for your outburst towards Rozzieoz, you should consider this-
If your verbal communications, comprehension and reasoning skills are to the same standard as your written skills, then your outburst is actually more laughable/sad and an indictment of yourself rather than Rozzieoz. I personally don’t know Rozzieoz, by the way, but in contrast to your own writings, having read some of her posts over the last 8 months, I’m inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Rather than taking on the attitude of it’s you against the world while helping the poor, you might be better advised to ask yourself a few questions, such as-

Should you be helping people? (I’d cautiously say yes, so long as you are truly doing so)
Who should you be helping?
Are you helping them, or appeasing your own conscience and feelings?
Is your approach the right one, or would you (and them) be better off if you applied your efforts and charity differently?

On this forum in the last couple of days is a report (ceo news) about a couple who became involved in a community school. Take a moment to read it, and then Compare that to your own approach.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Has anyone else noticed that Ellis has only now turned up here since her access to Facebook has been diminished or removed entirely?
She really does need that daily dose of attention.
Phnom Pen Company
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Phnom Pen Company »

I decided to make a new account because my normal account has too many similarities to my actual name.

First of all, I understand what you are doing. I also understand you get a stipend from your government due to your past growing up.

However, before registering as an NGO, you need a PR person (public relations) person to guide you on your endeavors.

You sound like Donald Trump in most of your post.

Somehow, you have not grasped the concept that when you type "U r" instead of "you are" you sound less credible. How much extra effort is that?

Next, you have no concept of "Child Safety." That is why FB banned you. I understand that maybe when you were being raised, which is why you got some sort of payment plus your mental issues that forced you to no longer have custody of your children and also possibly not access to your own settlement due to your manic and depressive personality, but you cannot just get drunk and coerce children into an interview or to sleep at your house. The children are not props. They are human beings.

If you have the financial backing, then please get someone to do some proper public relations. You are the laughing stock at our school. Our theory is that your auto correct is so used to you typing drunk that it has learned to just used drunken "Ellis" grammar instead of actual English.

Just take about ten steps back. Look at how you present yourself, and then throw some cold water on your face. Publicly be an example to follow... English-wise also, not that weird north of Manchester but south of Glasgow slang.

The last thing I want to say is learn the definition of integrity. Do the right thing even when no one is looking. When you put it all on Facebook (which you already lost the privilege to continue that for obvious reasons.) It just shows that you want people to see that you are "helping" others. This country is now an outlet for your past emotional turmoil.

You country has the NHS. Go home. Get therapy. Get yourself sorted for your children.

=@
Mata Hari
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Mata Hari »

Hi Ellis ! Could you please just read the last posts from explorer, freightdog and phnom pen company and at least one time really think about their content ? There is really nothing to add. It's just the question of whether you really understand what exactly they are saying.
You can run away from your own problems to thailand, cambodia, or wherever, but they will follow you everywhere. And honestly, they have already caught up with you since long time, that is so visible. If you really want to help, go home first, get yourself back in line, and then you can think about helping other people (without literally screaming out the whole time "look how good I am, please admire me"). As long as you are so much in trouble within yourself, you will not be a good helper, sorry.
Good luck !
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

If Ellis registers an NGO then I'm a flying pig
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »