Phnom Penh Megamall/Parkson Mall whats happening?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh Megamall/Parkson Mall whats happening?

Post by Element6 »

I happened to sit next to and get chatting with a guy who claimed to be the owner of that Mall (confirmed high ranking Cambodian)

Anyway he told me that Parkson malls (group) had been run by the nephew (I think) of the owner but that he had been ousted and replaced by the owners son and daughter. The nephew left to work for another company (sorry I cant remember the name - but also malls) and that the arrogant offspring of the owner had basically fubar'd the company, with a great reduction in the number of malls they have in Vietnam. Due to the difficulty in working with this pair the relationship between the owner of the building/land and Parkson had been severed and they were currently looking for new tenants. Given the size and nature of the building I think that will be no easy task as it isn't big enough to be a mall in the same vein as Aeon, but is too big for most department stores. Will be interesting to see what becomes of it
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

These malls are such an outdated concept. Across the western world they are dying as ecommerce takes over. They think here that they represent modern cities. In fact the opposite is true.
Last time I walked through Aeon mall it was largely empty, save the foodstore and a few other fast food outlets.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Seem to recall a Japanese article somewhere about them realising that the mall concept was pretty much a dying breed - with the only ones surviving the onslaught of eCommerce were those that had a large bias towards food stores, restaurants, etc.

And for that reason, I'm out.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

In an item on Australian TV, they said E-Commerce sales there reached an unprecedented high over the recent Festive season-15%- up 0.5 % from the previous year's record. Hardly seems like the end of the line for shopping malls, but I agree that the proliferation of new malls in PP is creating a massive bubble.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:59 am Seem to recall a Japanese article somewhere about them realising that the mall concept was pretty much a dying breed.
I can understand malls being popular here, they have air-con and places to walk around and hang out. The alternative is hot messy streets. Unless people are buying a lot of stuff they aren't viable though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

There's also a small "boutique" type mall opening roughly across from the Koi on Norodom (where ISPP used to be). Anyways, I was told by two guys who worked on the project that they ran out of money and were thus slow to pay contractors, but in order to pay them they had to raise more funds from investors, but the investors/tenants were reluctant because they hadn't met specific deadlines/completion stages yet. So a bit of a catch 22 situation.

As for malls going the way of the dodo, not here. Thais and Filipinos still love their malls despite online shopping. They've never had real malls here, so they're playing catch-up and want what everyone else has had for xx years. The growth of online shopping won't stop people from visiting said malls and spending money in them. The middle class is only growing, so there's plenty of pie to share. That's doesn't mean they'll all be successful though. As mentioned, they've become go-to places for most of them as a way to relax in AC, go eat and shop.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Inzman
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Inzman »

The locals use the malls for the air conditioning and food courts, very little actual shopping is done. Malls that depend on retail stores as opposed to food outlets won’t last long.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Aeon Mall is packed every evening and there is mayhem on weekends. Pretty much every shop is doing a good business. The expensive brand shops have chinese customers and the foodcourt and cinema etc. is overrun by middle-class families and teens.
Aeon 2 was pretty empty when I was there but that was during the week around noon.
Nice selection of shops and I wouldn't be surprised if it also is a success.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

King Keil wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:04 pm Aeon Mall is packed every evening and there is mayhem on weekends. Pretty much every shop is doing a good business. The expensive brand shops have chinese customers and the foodcourt and cinema etc. is overrun by middle-class families and teens.
Aeon 2 was pretty empty when I was there but that was during the week around noon.
Nice selection of shops and I wouldn't be surprised if it also is a success.
I live up in Toul Kork so TK Avenue & Aeon 2 are quite regular frequents of mine at the weekend, both very busy.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic