Cambodia Through the Eyes of Chinese Construction Workers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia Through the Eyes of Chinese Construction Workers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

What is it like for the Chinese migrant workers who come to Cambodia ? Interviews with three Chinese construction workers in Phnom Penh.
January 11, 2019
A tale of loneliness and longing
Sheila Yuanjiahuan / Khmer Times
Often demonised by the ‘host’ country for taking away jobs of locals, Sheila Yuanjiahuan looks behind the story of ordinary Chinese workers at construction sites in Cambodia. It can be a heartbreaking portrayal of the life they left behind in their homeland to seek opportunities abroad.

It was a Friday night. The skyline was filled with stars adorning Diamond Island (Koh Pich), Phnom Penh.

There was a party in full swing. Guests donned their gowns and high heels, and sauntered into the wedding ballroom. Delighted with the traditional Khmer music, people were smiling and dancing, and they seemed unperturbed by the pounding, banging and screeching from the Morgan Tower construction site directly in front of the building where guests were enjoying the wedding party.

At the neighbouring Morgan Tower construction site, you will be greeted with thick dust in the air when you open the small blue gate. The pungent dust will hit the back of your throat and might make you grasp for breath. This is where Zhao Gan lives and works.

Zhao Gan was leaning on a motorcycle, looking at his smartphone and grinned occasionally when I met him.
“I have two sons. I left them behind since they were children. Now, If I don’t call them, they’d never call me and say I miss you, dad,” he keyed in while looking at the smartphone, checking the Wechat Moments of the two boys.

It’s 2019 – the seventh year since Zhao Gan first set foot in Cambodia.

Originally from Huai Bei, a city in northern Anhui Province, China, Zhao first worked in construction sites in Sihanoukville Province for four years, and moved to Phnom Penh in 2016.

“Before I was not used to the lifestyle in Cambodia. There was a huge language barrier,” he said. “But after six years, it’s getting better.”

In 2013, as soon as Chinese President Xi Jinping brought up One Belt One Road Initiative to help Chinese companies export excess capacity and expand overseas markets, a massive amount of Chinese investors came to the once war-torn land – Cambodia – looking for opportunities.

According to a recent government report, China has become the top-ranking foreign investor in the construction and property sectors in Cambodia. With the influx of large amounts of Chinese investment, Cambodia has become one of the most popular destinations for Chinese workers seeking a higher income through employment abroad.

Diamond Island was the place that used to be full of slums and farmland. However, that has changed. It’s now the epitome of the construction boom in Phnom Penh City. Most of the properties on Diamond Island are Chinese investments and for that reason Chinese workers are employed to work on the construction sites.

No one knows the exact number of Chinese workers there are on these construction sites as most of them come to Cambodia and work without official work permits – so there are no Labour Department records. They are usually from rural areas on the Chinese mainland.

With the hope of realising their dreams of supporting their families, they choose to work overseas. This, of course, takes a toll on them in the form of acute homesickness and loneliness. Zhao is one of them.

“In the past six years, my wife and kids never visited me in Cambodia,” he said sadly. “And I usually can go back home only once a year. I really miss them.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50567862/a ... d-longing/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram