Ex-Governor of Takeo arrested over CPP woman's "suicide" (Update: Pardoned)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Ex-Governor of Takeo arrested over CPP woman's "suicide"

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I can see a punishment coming up.

This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

They have a special cushy prison for VIPs.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:13 pm They have a special cushy prison for VIPs.
A little bird told me that he was crying like the little bitch he is in general a few days ago.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Felgerkarb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:00 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:13 pm They have a special cushy prison for VIPs.
A little bird told me that he was crying like the little bitch he is in general a few days ago.
:cry: Good. Pleased to hear that. Maybe this time it will be different and the perp will really pay ?
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:21 pm
Felgerkarb wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:00 pm
:cry: Good. Pleased to hear that. Maybe this time it will be different and the perp will really pay ?
No idea in the long run, but in the short term, they are making his life quite unbearable. He is looking at 25 years and his support base has evaporated.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/7021/ ... -governor/

Let's say, higher ups weren't pleased with him.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Because he was a dickhead and got caught. Otherwise he would have still had his job.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

2 hours ago - BREAKING NEWS
Disgraced governor set to stand trial for murder
Phnom Penh Municipal Court has set a trail (sic) date for former Takeo provincial Governor Lay Vannak and his brother, a former deputy provincial police chief, over the murder of the former’s mistress.

Court spokesman Suos Vithyearandy said Mr Vannak and his brother Lay Narith will both stand trial on January 23.

Both men were jailed in April last year after the apparent suicide of CPP youth group member Chev Sovathana, who was also a National Assembly staffer, was re-investigated and deemed a murder covered up by the duo.

Mr Vannak, who was a member of the ruling Cambodian People’s Party, had his membership stripped soon after his arrest.
Ms Sovathana was found dead by her maid in her rented home in Daun Keo city on January 26, 2018.

Police initially closed the case as a suicide, but spurred by unavoidable evidence and complaints from the family, reopened it and discovered a murderous plot to kill Ms Sovathana.

The court has also charged Men Samay, Mr Vannak’s driver, and Choem Vuth, the maid’s husband, for concealing evidence.

If convicted, Mr Vannak and Mr Narith could face up to 15 years in prison, while Mr Vuth and Mr Samay could face up to three years in prison.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50567779/d ... or-murder/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The trial of the ex-governor of Takeo for the murder of his mistress began yesterday in Phnom Penh.

January 24, 2019
Former Takeo Governor denies killing mistress
Lay Vannak, the disgraced former Takeo provincial governor, yesterday denied any involvement in the murder of his mistress during his trial at Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

In April, the court charged Mr Vannak and his brother, former deputy provincial police chief Brigadier General Lay Narith, with murder over the killing of Chev Sovathana, whose death was covered up as a suicide.

The body of Ms Sovathana, a National Assembly official and member of the CPP’s youth wing, was found hanging in her rental home in Daun Keo city on January 26 last year.

“When I arrived at the scene, I saw Sovathana’s body and I was shocked. I said ‘wake up darling, wake up darling,’” Mr Vannak said. “‘I don’t believe you are dead, I’m here now and I’m alive with you.’”

He then swore to the court that he did not kill his mistress.

“I swear on everything that is sacred in this world to please hear and know that if I killed Sovathana, please take my life, my wife’s life and the lives of my three children,” Mr Vannak said. “I would not have killed her in my own jurisdiction.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50571822/f ... -mistress/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:19 am Mr Vannak said. “I would not have killed her in my own jurisdiction.”
Nice
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic