Phnom Penh Megamall/Parkson Mall whats happening?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Phnom Penh Megamall/Parkson Mall whats happening?

Post by angkorjohn »

So I went down Russian Blvd today and it was the first time I'd bothered to look at the development of the big Mall, which i thought was due to open in 2018. It was going to be Parkson Mall and now called Mega Mall and it seems all work has stopped. All the fancy advertising that used to be wrapped around it saying what it would contain (cinemas, restaurants etc) have gone too.

I tried to search for any updates but drew a blank. the first one I find is the below Phnom Penh Post article, interestingly the picture in the article (linked below) about Malls shows the back end incomplete, that is how it still looks nearly 6 months on from the article.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/supplemen ... -year-mall

In June a Khmer Times piece from June 2018 also mentions it is due for completion soon.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50500049/p ... mark-year/

Anybody in the know whats happened? Investors got cold feet after Aeon 2? Money run out? It is a hefty white elephant to have in such a prominent location. :?:
blerrr9
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Phnom Penh Megamall/Parkson Mall whats happening?

Post by blerrr9 »

Oh i wonder what happened to this. I've been waiting for this mall since last year
YOLO

Follow your heart
RealestateAnalyst
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by RealestateAnalyst »

There was some internal conflict between the two Joint Ventures. Apparently, Parkson Mall decided to remove their share which means the mall has no legal right to use the name "Parkson Mall" anymore. No further information was reported but there is some issue with the advertising and tenants causing the mall to be delayed. Until the internal issue is done, the mall life will be restored. I hope this will help.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

with all these malls going in to cater ONLY to those that can afford to buy in them it just makes each piece of pie for each shop smaller/
Its Bye Be mom and pop shops

we are experiencing the same growth here in Phuket
putting in another Central mall across the street from Junk Ceylon in Patong
and in phuket town we have 3 huge malls connected by walk ways>> and there building a even larger one 6 kms down the road..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:47 pm with all these malls going in to cater ONLY to those that can afford to buy in them it just makes each piece of pie for each shop smaller/
Yeah, they are all competing for the same customers. There's another huge one planned on Mao Tse tung on the empty space opposite the Chinese embassy ( a "community" mall, WTF?), the Parkway Center a couple of hundred meters away is being rebuilt, and there's another huge one going up a few hundred meters away on 271. The older malls like Sorya and Sovanna get abandoned as the new ones open. The mom and pop shops will survive for now, they are much more convenient for quick buying.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:58 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:47 pm with all these malls going in to cater ONLY to those that can afford to buy in them it just makes each piece of pie for each shop smaller/
Yeah, they are all competing for the same customers. There's another huge one planned on Mao Tse tung on the empty space opposite the Chinese embassy ( a "community" mall, WTF?), the Parkway Center a couple of hundred meters away is being rebuilt, and there's another huge one going up a few hundred meters away on 271. The older malls like Sorya and Sovanna get abandoned as the new ones open. The mom and pop shops will survive for now, they are much more convenient for quick buying.
I think Sorya had more customers in its grungy former format.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 pm

That's what I said on the other thread. The place needs to be '' de-renovated ''
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 pm

That's what I said on the other thread. The place needs to be '' de-renovated ''
I was disappointed when I went to KL last time and BB Plaza had closed down. I like the old-school, authentic malls.
Last edited by timmydownawell on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:25 pm
I was disappointed when I went to PP last time and BB Plaza had closed down. I like the old-school, authentic malls.
Was that the 24 hour BB World on Monivong, maybe near the Sihanouk crossroads? It was terrible, even during the day and at night time there was fuck all left.
There were all these fish ponds to make it look nice but most of the fish were dead and the water was all cloudy.
Still a handy place at the time considering pretty much nothing was open at those hours.
I forgot about it, it's probably demolished.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:35 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:25 pm
I was disappointed when I went to PP last time and BB Plaza had closed down. I like the old-school, authentic malls.
Was that the 24 hour BB World on Monivong, maybe near the Sihanouk crossroads? It was terrible, even during the day and at night time there was fuck all left.
There were all these fish ponds to make it look nice but most of the fish were dead and the water was all cloudy.
Still a handy place at the time considering pretty much nothing was open at those hours.
I forgot about it, it's probably demolished.
Sorry, brain fart, KL, not PP.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic