city mall phnom penh - thoughts

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: city mall phnom penh - thoughts

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote:It was always a dump. The company that started it was supposed to refurbish the stadium but did jack shit except for a whitewash so construction was closed down and place was a shell for about 5 years. When it was built it had a shitty finish. It 's really hard to find your way around too, I've been to the cinema there many times but still get lost. I was at the cinema in Sovanna recently, other than the ground floor most of the units there are empty too.
The elevators that went (almost) up tot he cinema were the slowest I'd ever seen in my life. Shitty Chinese or Viet ones if I recall. We don't have fun looking at people going in them, and then with a brisk (but by no means super rushed) walk up the stairs, I'd make it to the too before the elevator (4 floors?!). Hilariously slow.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The cinema itself is fine like the one in Sovanna is, but it's just a bit bleak as you get higher. There's a roof terrace on City Mall that used to be nice but it's a derelict looking mess now. When City Mall started it tried to have a "more sophisticated" look, and stalls had to be organized in a nice looking way, they wouldn't allow stacks of clothes etc. Of course that idea went out the window as the place decayed. The weirdest place there, if it's still going, is a club at the bottom of the multi-story car park. It had insane techno, lights and smoke pumping out and there were loads of wild teenagers around revving up their bikes and messing around. Anyone been there?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Captain wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:13 am
Queef wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:53 am
Captain wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:04 am Every single "joke" he comes up with is about whether someone is "black" or "white." That gets old real fast and he is himself a "joke."
We got an Amy Schumer fan over here!!!! :ROFL:

I don't know who Amy Schumer is, and I don't care. All I know is I am not a Chris Rock "fan." That divisive crap that he pumps out over and over and over again is just plain tedious!
disagree w/ you... Not divisive in my opinion at all... It is true regarding malls-- at least from my opinion... I think he is basically talking about "white flight"... again, your entitled to your opinion but felt the need to share mine as well
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Like the others, I went there solely for the cinema.

The food court just looks unkempt, I did not like eating any of the food there wondering how unsanitary it all was.

I hated the way the whole mall was set up. I remember always thinking after the movie "how the fuck can I get out of this place now"
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

didnt realize there was a movie theater in there... sheesh. its super depressing walking into that place..
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

It was a rather depressing place when I was there last in early 2012, probably when it was fairly new. I and a buddy went outside and down to where we could get a tuktuk. I turned around and started to take some phone photos of the mall exterior. An "official" in a dress shirt came out and told me to stop taking pictures. WTF? Couldn't give me a reason. Never went back.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I've never been in there but you guys have piqued my curiosity now.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

I only go there for Legend cinema.

If you pay with Pi Pay you'll get 20% of tickets and food. Plus with pi Pay you sometimes get notifications for pre launch tickets (at 50% discount).

Aside from Legend, Citymall is a horrible place to go shopping.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

For Legend, I'd rather go to exchange square or eden garden.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic