Cintri Again

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Cintri Again

Post by Duncan »

Cintri issues apology for garbage collection disruption
Pech Sotheary / Khmer Times Share:

A growing pile of trash in Phnom Penh. KT/Chor Sokunthea
Cintri has apologised to the public over the disruption of garbage collection since December 26.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the company gave two major reasons for the disruption in its operation to clean, collect and transport garbage as scheduled.

It said one was due to a strike by its workers to have their wages raised on December 26 but the problem was solved the next day.

The statement said that the other reason was that garment workers were holding regular protests which block Street 217 which leads to the Dangkor Landfill.

“This is the only road to enter the landfill, which makes the garbage transportation process slow,” the company said. “We urge the public to understand the situation leading to this inconvenience.”

“We also ask the public to help package their garbage in an orderly way to help accelerate collection and transport of garbage and maintain environmental hygiene in our capital,” it added.

Ith Chanda, Cintri customer service and garbage collection department chief, said yesterday that the disruption to cleaning, collecting and transporting garbage occurred since the strike by the company’s workers on December 26.

He said there were also strikes continuously by some factory workers on the street that Cintri garbage trucks have to cross, resulting in uncollected garbage along some small roads in the city and suburbs.

“So we need time to collect the garbage,” he said. “If there is no disruption due to road blocks from factory workers again, we expect to collect all garbage within one or two weeks so things return to normal.”

On December 26, several Cintri’s rubbish collectors went on strike demanding a wage increase of $15 per month.

After a full day of negotiation, both sides came to an agreement and the workers ended the protest.

The company agreed to increase monthly wages by $9 and settled some other demands from the workers.

On December 27, more than 1,000 garment workers from Seduno Investment Cambo Fashion also rallied to block Street 217 in Dangkor district to demand their severance pay before the end of the year, which caused traffic congestion.

On January 5, thousands of workers from the W&D factory along Street 217 in Meanchey district also rallied over unpaid seniority indemnity and blocked the road.

Chin Sreymey, 19, a coffee shop worker in Meanchey district’s Boeng Tumpun commune, said that from late December up to now Cintri’s garbage collection was slow and there is garbage congested in her area and some markets.

“The garbage trucks previously came to collect garbage twice a day but in the recent days they came every four to five days,” she said. “There is a lot of garbage in front of my house and when I travel along some streets, I also see piles of garbage.”

“Now that the company has informed us of the reason, I hope that they will solve this problem soon,” Ms Sreymey said.

What is it that Cintri dont understand about rubbish collection. All they have to do is place empty jumbo bins everywhere and people will throw their rubbish in them. All Cintri have to do is take the full ones away, leaving a empty one in it's place . This saves workers spending half a day picking up piles of rubbish and leaving behind a stinky smelly mess of fluids that have leaked out of the rubbish bags.

This system involves using only one truck driver.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cintri Again

Post by Spigzy »

You honestly think residents will throw rubbish into a jumbo bin? I have a feeling that the pic posted is AFTER the Cintri guys have been through & thrown all the rubbish bags into the jumbo bin; just look at the shit stain all around it. You could be right, & no harm in trying for sure, but there's a bunch of education needed also. Khmers are so lazy to put their rubbish out; beyond household laziness, the amount of shit I see thrown from car windows, passengers of tuk-tuks & motos, etc. there's a huge number who simply don't care their country is a rubbish tip. :(
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 am You honestly think residents will throw rubbish into a jumbo bin? I have a feeling that the pic posted is AFTER the Cintri guys have been through & thrown all the rubbish bags into the jumbo bin; just look at the shit stain all around it. You could be right, & no harm in trying for sure, but there's a bunch of education needed also. Khmers are so lazy to put their rubbish out; beyond household laziness, the amount of shit I see thrown from car windows, passengers of tuk-tuks & motos, etc. there's a huge number who simply don't care their country is a rubbish tip. :(

If you step out of your RangeRover and hang around a jumbo bin for a hour like I have done, you will find that Cambodians will throw their rubbish in the bin. The shit stains you see around it, is because the bins are always overflowing and have not been emptied.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

No Range Rover, riding a motorbike- but I’ll take your word for it rather than loiter by a jumbo bin. Thanks for the insight. I’d stick to the argument on general education though, fly-tipping or littering still don’t carry much shame amongst Khmers; have you ever seen one castigate another for littering? Hopefully with many videos on social media from other countries showing outrage at casual littering, this will improve/ but they really need something akin to the “Keep Britain Tidy” movement, etc
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 pm
Spigzy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 am You honestly think residents will throw rubbish into a jumbo bin? I have a feeling that the pic posted is AFTER the Cintri guys have been through & thrown all the rubbish bags into the jumbo bin; just look at the shit stain all around it. You could be right, & no harm in trying for sure, but there's a bunch of education needed also. Khmers are so lazy to put their rubbish out; beyond household laziness, the amount of shit I see thrown from car windows, passengers of tuk-tuks & motos, etc. there's a huge number who simply don't care their country is a rubbish tip. :(

If you step out of your RangeRover and hang around a jumbo bin for a hour like I have done, you will find that Cambodians will throw their rubbish in the bin. The shit stains you see around it, is because the bins are always overflowing and have not been emptied.

Why were you kicking it near a trash bin for an hour?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:41 pm No Range Rover, riding a motorbike-
I'm sure he meant Audi, not Range Rover.

Still have that pos?
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 am
What is it that Cintri dont understand about rubbish collection. All they have to do is place empty jumbo bins everywhere and people will throw their rubbish in them. All Cintri have to do is take the full ones away, leaving a empty one in it's place . This saves workers spending half a day picking up piles of rubbish and leaving behind a stinky smelly mess of fluids that have leaked out of the rubbish bags.
Just because people throw it in a large bin does not mean it will stay in there. The scavengers will simply take it out to look, rip the bag open and maybe (if you lucky) put half back.

The huge bin will also likely start to smell more than the street does if there are not cleaned regularly & completely emptied properly each time.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Brody wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:59 pm
Spigzy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:41 pm No Range Rover, riding a motorbike-
Still have that pos?
Sadly yes, Mrs. Spigz loves it, but thankfully I only have to use it for the supermarket run! Wouldn't be surprised to find it one day in a jumbo bin though!! #result :beer1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic