I watched this...MOVIES!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: I watched this...MOVIES!

Post by Soi Dog »

Finally, Dallas Buyer's Club is coming to HBO next week. I've been waiting for that one.
American Hustle was decent. 12 Years a Slave was very good too. Very realistic looking portrayal of a dark and disturbing part of early American history.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

I wrote a big long post and it ain't here. Thought maybe the slow Sunday thang kep it from gettin on but I wrote it after Lexis post I think, weird. Anyone else gettin this? Wasn't anything objectionable in it I'm sure. Highly doubtful it was deleted.
check out Three Idiots
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

I liked that one very much: "They Live" by John Carpenter. Old movie but still quite impressive.
Last edited by Francis on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Just watched the 1st of the BBC Mini-series '37 Days'. It deals with the lead up to WWI after the assassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand through the eyes of the various diplomatic corps (British primarily). A nice period piece, well written, and well acted.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Robert franks
cocksuckers blues :thumb:

His 1972 documentary of the Rolling Stones, Cocksucker Blues, is arguably his best known film. The film shows the Stones while on their '72 tour, engaging in heavy drug use and group sex. Perhaps more disturbing to the Stones when they saw the finished product, however, was the degree to which Frank faithfully captured the loneliness and despair of life on the road. Mick Jagger reportedly told Frank, "It's a fucking good film, Robert, but if it shows in America we'll never be allowed in the country again." The Stones sued to prevent the film's release, and it was disputed whether Frank as the artist or the Stones as those who hired the artist actually owned the copyright. A court order resolved this with Solomonic wisdom by restricting the film to being shown no more than five times per year and only in the presence of Frank. Frank's photography also appeared on the cover of the Rolling Stones' album Exile on Main St..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Francis
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Francis »

Great movie !!
Last edited by Francis on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Und der Haifisch der hat Tränen
Und die laufen vom Gesicht
Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser
So die Tränen sieht man nicht

In der Tiefe ist es einsam
Und so manche Träne fliesst
Und so kommt es dass das Wasser
In den Meeren salzig ist
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Soi Dog wrote:Finally, Dallas Buyer's Club is coming to HBO next week.
I got Dallas Buyers Club on DVD from a store on the Riverfront - not the one by Kandal House, the next one along - this is a plug, but the lady who runs it is really cool.
As for the film - :thumb: A must see.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

If you haven't seen Tinker,Tailor, Soldier, Spy, I highly recommend it. The plot was a bit complex so I had to watch it several times before I fully understood everything that was going on (mostly because of some flash-back sequences that I didn't realize were flashbacks at first). It is the opposite of a James Bond-style spy movie. This one is cerebral and painfully slow at times but riveting still. There are no real action sequences to speak of, but it is very suspenseful - if you haven't read the book, that is.

One of my all time favorites.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:Finally, Dallas Buyer's Club is coming to HBO next week.
I got Dallas Buyers Club on DVD from a store on the Riverfront - not the one by Kandal House, the next one along - this is a plug, but the lady who runs it is really cool.
As for the film - :thumb: A must see.
This film along with Mud forced me to gain a whole new respect for Matthew McCanaughey( spelling) as an Actor. Great films.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic