Easy Khmer Song to Sing At Wedding

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
RCR
Tourist
Maldives

Easy Khmer Song to Sing At Wedding

Post by RCR »

My wife and I will be getting married next month and I thought it would be a nice surprise to perform a short song in Khmer at the wedding. I was just looking for suggestions on a simple song I could learn and perform fairly easily. My khmer isn't that good but I am able to pull off most of the pronunciations fairly well. I am not a very good singer but I think the family and everyone else would really enjoy it. Anybody have any suggestions for a song? Prefer an older song that most of the old people at the wedding will be familiar with. Thanks very much!
davegorman
BANNED
France

Re: Easy Khmer Song to Sing At Wedding

Post by davegorman »

Reversely what do you think of Khmers singing English songs, even if their spoken English is good?

Sentiment is nice but I think you’ll get stoned, laughed at or a >slow clap<.

Just joking. Jamie will be along soon.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Why don't you sing that popular song urging a young woman not to divorce her husband because she will die alone and miserable? I forgot the title but you should sing that it's really popular.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

RCR wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:31 pm My wife and I will be getting married next month and I thought it would be a nice surprise to perform a short song in Khmer at the wedding. I was just looking for suggestions on a simple song I could learn and perform fairly easily. My khmer isn't that good but I am able to pull off most of the pronunciations fairly well. I am not a very good singer but I think the family and everyone else would really enjoy it. Anybody have any suggestions for a song? Prefer an older song that most of the old people at the wedding will be familiar with. Thanks very much!
You could try taam-uy-taam, when you start it she can join you. The lyrics are fairly simple.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Don't forget the water buffalo
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

davegorman wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:08 pm Reversely what do you think of Khmers singing English songs, even if their spoken English is good?

Sentiment is nice but I think you’ll get stoned, laughed at or a >slow clap<.

Just joking. Jamie will be along soon.
People from other countries may laugh at you if you sing badly, but Cambodians will not make fun of you no matter how badly you sing. They will be happy that you tried.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

If you sing well, it will look like you have spent too much time in KTV joints.

Better to sing badly.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

explorer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:09 pm Cambodians will not make fun of you
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Sing this one to your wife. I'm sure it will go down well.

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Here's one they all know and will sing along with you.

They will be so pissed on rice wine and wont know the difference.
Spoiler:
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic