PassApp scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: PassApp scam

Post by StroppyChops »

PIEMAN wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm :beer3: It annoys me when they do not turn there phone on,or do not have them plugged in.Today leaving hospital i had got as far as The Pub when i realised he had no phone on show,when challenged he says "no speak english"change from when we chat outside Callemette.I told him how much i was willing to pay to carry on our journey and he agreed,i do not know wether the play on the fact that they know people have other things on their mind at Hospitals or they are just cheats out and out. :bow:
I worked briefly with another agency to medically support a motodop who blacked out directly in front of Calmette Hospital. Those around him robbed him of everything he had, including his clothes and moto, and left him to die... on the street, on the curb, in front of a hospital. Yes, I know you have to pay up front, but to rob him while he's lying unconscious on the road...

This is NOT the typical experience of Cambodia as I know it, though - perhaps it IS just the drivers in front of Calmette.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: Maybe like some off the big establishments in pp,hospitals should have their own pass apps,i see they have made them wait across the road,but the hawkers are still at the front gates,a copper with a big stick is needed,as anyone with a ounce off humanity needs time to get there self together when leaving hospital,I usually walk but GOUT says no atm :stir:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

PIEMAN wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm :beer3: It annoys me when they do not turn there phone on,or do not have them plugged in.Today leaving hospital i had got as far as The Pub when i realised he had no phone on show,when challenged he says "no speak english"change from when we chat outside Callemette.I told him how much i was willing to pay to carry on our journey and he agreed,i do not know wether the play on the fact that they know people have other things on their mind at Hospitals or they are just cheats out and out. :bow:
If you want him to use the phone app, then you need to book him via the phone app. Why would he need his phone turned on if you had already told him how much you were willing to pay?

#Fakescam
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 pm

This is NOT the typical experience of Cambodia as I know it, though - perhaps it IS just the drivers in front of Calmette.
It also just happened to the Ukrainian who crashed on Street 240.

There have been numerous stories about this from Cambodia. If you crash on the road, there's a good chance someone will rob you as you lay dead or dying. If you die in your apartment, there's a good chance the police will steal/confiscate your valuables.

This is very much a typical experience in Cambodia. Go lie face down in a road in Cambodia and pretend to be unconscious and see what happens. You won't have your phone and cash very long. Contrast this with Japan, where salarymen go out drink until passing out on the street and then wake up in the morning with their money in their pockets, usually.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Cam Nivag wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:52 am
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 pm
It also just happened to the Ukrainian who crashed on Street 240.

There have been numerous stories about this from Cambodia. If you crash on the road, there's a good chance someone will rob you as you lay dead or dying. If you die in your apartment, there's a good chance the police will steal/confiscate your valuables.

This is very much a typical experience in Cambodia. Go lie face down in a road in Cambodia and pretend to be unconscious and see what happens. You won't have your phone and cash very long. Contrast this with Japan, where salarymen go out drink until passing out on the street and then wake up in the morning with their money in their pockets, usually.
PhnomRon wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:22 pm I read elsewhere that the video showed he was hit by another bike(?) and there was some question as to whether it was intentional, to set up the robbery.
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:39 am Sadly, the people that do this have no scruples. A friend of mine was pulled off her moto while riding and her moto stolen by thieves. They couldn't give a shit what happened to her...luckily she got away with bruises.
newsworthy/bouchon-wine-bar-staff-tymur ... 25667.html

Many people assume that Cambodians think like us. They see something bad happen, and think it is just one or two bad people. There are some good people in Cambodia, but there are many who dont have morals, and will steal from the dying. They will also rob people and not care if they are injured of killed in the process.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

explorer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:11 am
Many people assume that Cambodians think like us. They see something bad happen, and think it is just one or two bad people. There are some good people in Cambodia, but there are many who dont have morals, and will steal from the dying. They will also rob people and not care if they are injured of killed in the process.
'Us' being members of the superior aryan race, I suppose?!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

explorer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:11 am

what you mean "us"
i dont think anything like you

same same every country on earth.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

This guy that just dropped me at the airport grab my bag and then just said $10, while I was looking at them I am waiting to see the price. After some moments I realized he hadn’t turned off his side of the app to complete the transaction. So I told him you get your phone and finish but he wouldn’t then he said eight, I said it should be around 6.50 (according to estimate) So he fished out a little bit more and handed me three dollars and 2000 riel. When he departed I see the price was 5.50. I rated him 1 star because of that and also because when he arrived (like the other driver I had earlier, he just popped the trunk while sitting in the car and made me load my own bag.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

I hailed a rickshaw yesterday off the street and when I got in and we started moving he brought up some nondescript app on his phone that just read 'Taxi' that started at 3000 riel and started ticking over fairly quickly.

I said something like 'what's this? No thanks' and he turned it off. It definitely wasn't a passapp or grab app, just a meter app that judging by the speed of it turning over would have probably been easily double or triple the normal fare.

Not sure if a scam or not
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 pm I hailed a rickshaw yesterday off the street and when I got in and we started moving he brought up some nondescript app on his phone that just read 'Taxi' that started at 3000 riel and started ticking over fairly quickly.
I was waiting on a Passapp I ordered and one rolled up so I guessed it was the right one. It had one of those Taxi apps and cost about twice normal.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic