Is it normal for electric shower heaters not to be grounded?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Is it normal for electric shower heaters not to be grounded?

Post by cptrelentless »

Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:52 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:26 pm Those Panasonics are 3.5kW, so you need a 16A feed on them. The Cambodians always wire up their houses with 10A uninsulated cabling (1.5mm2 if you're lucky). So it will trip the switch if they've put the usual 10A breaker in. They generally wire it up in spoke fashion, rather than a ring, so their'll be a spaghetti nest of cables in your main fuse box. One of those will be the shower feed.
Yeah, the landlord came back with an electrician and he changed it from a 10A breaker to 16A. When the work was complete, the electrician and landlord left, without ever checking that it worked.

It didn't. I went from having power to the electric heater for 60 seconds at a time to having no power at all to it after the "fix."

Called again and they came back and fixed it again and now it's working and doesn't trip the breaker and hasn't electrocuted me yet.
Just have to wait for the wires to catch fire now. Try to minimise the amount of time you're in there.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

cptrelentless wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:12 am
Cam Nivag wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:52 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:26 pm Those Panasonics are 3.5kW, so you need a 16A feed on them. The Cambodians always wire up their houses with 10A uninsulated cabling (1.5mm2 if you're lucky). So it will trip the switch if they've put the usual 10A breaker in. They generally wire it up in spoke fashion, rather than a ring, so their'll be a spaghetti nest of cables in your main fuse box. One of those will be the shower feed.
Yeah, the landlord came back with an electrician and he changed it from a 10A breaker to 16A. When the work was complete, the electrician and landlord left, without ever checking that it worked.

It didn't. I went from having power to the electric heater for 60 seconds at a time to having no power at all to it after the "fix."

Called again and they came back and fixed it again and now it's working and doesn't trip the breaker and hasn't electrocuted me yet.
Just have to wait for the wires to catch fire now. Try to minimise the amount of time you're in there.
Yeah, you might get this result:

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:00 am Yeah, you might get this result:

FREE

Still 99%, never been dropped or repaired. PM for price.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:04 pm

FREE

I wouldn't touch that with a bar of soap.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:07 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:04 pm

FREE

I wouldn't touch that with a bar of soap.
This is at a guest house I have stayed at. In one room I had, the shower was connected with some very lightweight wire - like speaker wire. I didn't dare use it, and took a photo and showed the guy at reception and actually told him "this will cause a fire" (it wasn't even the same room as this pic).

They're currently doing some renovations. New LED lighting and upgraded power points etc, but still nothing is earthed of course.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

Duncan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:42 am [quote="Borum-Ex frm TOForum"

And always wear flip-flops when showering!

And best to not get them or your feet wet .
[/quote]

... and how you do this?
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

alexvanlaar wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:45 pm
Duncan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:42 am [quote="Borum-Ex frm TOForum"

And always wear flip-flops when showering!

And best to not get them or your feet wet .
... and how you do this?
[/quote]

Take a shower in one of these,

Simple !!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic