China's moral crisis

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cricket99
Expatriate
Korea North

China's moral crisis

Post by Cricket99 »

A fairly good summary of China's moral problem.

Stinkman
Expatriate

Re: China's moral crisis

Post by Stinkman »

Good video. He makes his points clearly.

You don't get many reports out of China talking about crime, aside from the odd political corruption scandal when someone high up has fallen out of favor with the Party or some celebrity tax dodger gets publicly shamed. I wonder if that presenter (vlogger?) will face some repercussions. Would a local Chinese be free to post such content? Doubtful.

He makes a good point about lack of faith in police and the justice system. But the 'grab all you can now' mentality with no consideration for others or future generations or the environment is of course not exclusive to China. Here is what the first white men on the American great plains did in just a couple years when given the chance and no restrictions or enforcement. Those are bison skulls.

And we all know lots of money for powerful lawyers often gets you (or a corporation) out of trouble in the US to this day. My point being that as the UK and the US underwent their great industrial revolutions and economic growth, their societies in general too faced extreme strain. Too easy to cast aspersions on Chinese society as they undergo the same rapid changes. It would be nice if the Chinese learned from Western mistakes and avoided the same pitfalls, but it seems they have not.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Stinkman wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:50 am
My point being that as the UK and the US underwent their great industrial revolutions and economic growth, their societies in general too faced extreme strain. Too easy to cast aspersions on Chinese society as they undergo the same rapid changes. It would be nice if the Chinese learned from Western mistakes and avoided the same pitfalls, but it seems they have not.
I take your point re the effects of rapid change. However to compare what china is going through now with the industrial revolution of the late 1700s and early 1800s is to my mind is drawing a very long bow.. no? Then again, it was not long ago they faced the great chinese famine 1958-1961 which as the video implies, would be stamped in the memory of older chinese and would be a significant factor I would think.

I've never been to China but the way they behave at the airport and as tourists in general ie shouting, pushing, shoving, belching in the toilets et al would suggest they come from a dog eat dog world imo... Yet...you don't see the thais doing this sort of behavior do you? Indeed, they look down on falangs as they consider us to be uncultured barbarians.. So, there's more to it don't you think?
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

leave it to an apologist to change the subject from a country of billions to some white guys in 1870...
what a fucking joke...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic