W&D Garment Factory Fires 1200 Striking Workers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

W&D Garment Factory Fires 1200 Striking Workers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

January 7, 2019
Factory sacks striking garment workers
W&D factory in Phnom Penh has fired more than 1,000 garment workers who were on strike to demand unpaid benefits.

Last week, the company, with the backing of Phnom Penh Municipal Court, issued an ultimatum to the workers saying that if they did not return to work within 48 hours, they would be fired.

The workers responded by occupying the factory and worker representatives said they would not back down until their demands were met.

The strike continued until Friday, when the company announced that workers who failed to comply with the order were fired.

“If your name is on the list, please take your wage on Tuesday at 3pm,” the company said.

Bun Samnal, a worker representative, yesterday said about 1,200 garment workers were fired on Friday.

“The factory issued a statement saying that they are to delete our names from the list of workers by Friday evening. We only saw the list on Saturday,” Mr Samnal said. “We were surprised to see our names on the list.”

He added that the company now has the obligation to pay the workers severance on top of missing benefits.

“We are not against the company for firing us, but it has to pay us as stipulated in the Labour Law,” Mr Samnal said. “These include severance, last month’s wage, compensation and seniority.”

According to the Labour Ministry, factories must pay workers a seniority payment once every six months and that factories must also pay severance upon conclusion of an employment contract.

After an employee has been fired a company must also pay their last month’s wages and compensation, on top of the missing benefits.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50566431/f ... t-workers/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: W&D Garment Factory Fires 1200 Striking Workers

Post by Big'n »

This is not a good sign. Factory workers are paid slave labor wages anyway and they were simply asking for the money that was owed to them. If the PTB were wise they would look at the history books and see what happens when people lose all hope in the current system. I'm sure that Louis XVI never thought that it would happen to him either...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I'm not going to state my source because reasons, but I have it on first-hand authority that Cambodia is about to lose it's bulk garment manufacturing industry to another poor country, as a direct result of minimum wages rising too rapidly - that is, rising wages are not the issue, but the speed at which they're rising is. I'm told it's already a done deal, the decisions have already been made. Obviously, there will always be SOME garment industry here, but big business has already decided to go elsewhere.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

The Chinese will only be too glad to fill the vacuum.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Big'n wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:16 pm The Chinese will only be too glad to fill the vacuum.
"Made in China" very often means "made in Cambodia for Chinese companies."
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:25 pm
Big'n wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:16 pm The Chinese will only be too glad to fill the vacuum.
I thought it was the other way around - that Chinese factories in Cambodia are selling their products as Made in Cambodia ?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:36 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:25 pm
I thought it was the other way around - that Chinese factories in Cambodia are selling their products as Made in Cambodia ?
Could be.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:05 pm I'm not going to state my source because reasons, but I have it on first-hand authority that Cambodia is about to lose it's bulk garment manufacturing industry to another poor country, as a direct result of minimum wages rising too rapidly - that is, rising wages are not the issue, but the speed at which they're rising is. I'm told it's already a done deal, the decisions have already been made. Obviously, there will always be SOME garment industry here, but big business has already decided to go elsewhere.
Any idea which country that is?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:05 pm I'm not going to state my source because reasons, but I have it on first-hand authority that Cambodia is about to lose it's bulk garment manufacturing industry to another poor country, as a direct result of minimum wages rising too rapidly - that is, rising wages are not the issue, but the speed at which they're rising is. I'm told it's already a done deal, the decisions have already been made. Obviously, there will always be SOME garment industry here,

but big business has already decided to go elsewhere.

That may be so, but in a country of backflips there will be incentives put in place to attract them back. HE does not want his support base upset.
To have a 1000 plus women from each factory closure demonstrating would not look good.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

His "source" can't tell you.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic