New Zealand Needs Stricter Gun Control Laws

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: New Zealand Needs Stricter Gun Control Laws

Post by Anchor Moy »

Only police, bad guys, farmers and sports shooters have guns in Oz... and a few professional hunters.
Yeah, lazy thinking on my part - Oz police carry guns and NZ don't, so must be more guns in Oz - 1+1=3

And now, boils make you violent:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11319849
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

That must be uncomfortable.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Dr Anik wrote:Only semi auto/auto military assault rifles and handguns are required by law to be registered. As many of the Chinese AKs were single shot models, they were never registered. They and the semi auto are favoured here for deer hunting and were readily available 20 years ago.

Is NZ safe? ..well I feel very safe, and people don't need to carry guns to feel safe here, still I guess violence is on the rise everywhere. One thing that is difficult to ignore though is that for a country with the most relaxed gun laws in the western world we don't have an 'in your face' gun culture society.
wait... they made a single shot AK-47!? as in shoot, manually pull the bolt, then shoot again?
Dr Anik
Expatriate

Post by Dr Anik »

No, I was wrong there, either semi or auto. The single shot norincos are bolt action using the 7.62x39 round but not AK variant. The Norinco AK variant( sks, and nhm) semis are popular here for hunting.

EDIT..in earlier post I stated "..4000 AK47 style assault rifles were floating around nz..'' but I could not find data, then found this...

Arms Amendment Act (1992) added military-style semi-automatic weapons (MSSAs) to the list of high-risk firearms which must now be individually registered. Despite this, a loophole in the Act has allowed 57% of the estimated 15,000 MSSAs in New Zealand to escape registration, and police acknowledge they have no way of knowing who owns them. ..and..

Only 4 per cent of weapons(total) must be registered with police

The more I read on this , the more incredulous I become. OD, you may find aspects of this an 'interesting' read.. http://www.academia.edu/2330762/The_Rig ... ew_Zealand
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic