Online poker

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Johnsell50
Expatriate
United States of America

Online poker

Post by Johnsell50 »

I used to play a lot here in The USA but they banned it except if you live in a state that has legalized gambling. I wasn't that lucky. What are the laws there? Can you gamble through pokerstars etc.?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Online poker

Post by explorer »

Johnsell50 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:50 pm I used to play a lot here in The USA but they banned it except if you live in a state that has legalized gambling. I wasn't that lucky. What are the laws there? Can you gamble through pokerstars etc.?
I dont know for sure, but you probably can.

One problem in Cambodia is time lag on the internet. It varies from place to place, and time to time, but you may wait 10 seconds for the information to get from the server to your computer, and another 10 seconds for the information to get from your computer to the server. If you get timed out too much, it may be impossible to win.

Would time lag be a problem with the game you play?

Somebody could do research on where the internet cables enter Cambodia, then see if you lived in that area whether there is less time lag.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
respondingtpost
Tourist

Post by respondingtpost »

Bodog and Global almost exclusively service usa players and thus have the softest games. (Bodog also accepts a variety of asia and latin america, including vietnam and thailand but not Cambodia)

Every other network will accept Cambodian residents. You'll need a stamped or signed bank statement or lease/utility bill for Pokerstars (and most sites, didn't need one for Party) with a Cambodian address. You'll need 2 connections when you're playing, and one should be mobile incase of a power outage. Skrill is no longer a viable method to withdraw usd to a Cambodian account. Partypoker to aba direct bank transfer may be the best option available with only the $10 fee that aba will charge from any inward transfer (1k min).

No offense with this part but if you weren't aware of the current situation of online poker in the usa then it's safe to say that you have close to no chance of winning on harder networks such as Pokerstars or Partypoker in 2019.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

I play poker stars from a Cambodian account. I play in Cambodia from home or my phone.

I provided no documentation when I signed up.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

You can also try PP Poker. You can make cash deposits and withdrawals via agents in PP who run the Sands club on that site.

http://www.pppoker.net/index_m.html#/
respondingtpost
Tourist

Post by respondingtpost »

Documents are required to withdraw so you should submit them before even depositing (and are required to change residency for an existing usa account)

You should be very cautious with pppoker and other similar apps but they are also a viable option if you have an agent and club you can trust (or trust well enough to accept the risk if theres good action)
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

respondingtpost wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:38 pm

You should be very cautious with pppoker and other similar apps but they are also a viable option if you have an agent and club you can trust (or trust well enough to accept the risk if theres good action)

Ummmmmm.... I do know the guys really well. They are well known in the Phnom Penh poker scene having been managers at River king.

If I didn't I would not be recommending them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic