Homeless Brit MARTIN CLEARY Arrested by Immigration Police in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Re: Homeless Brit MARTIN CLEARY Arrested by Immigration Police in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by saigonjackpot »

Jim Gil wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:41 am 're General.
I haven't been to Cambodia since 2009, from 2002 until 2007 I worked 6mnths in uk then spent the next 6 bumming around, mostly Asia from India to Vietnam.
Towards the end I was kicking the arse out of the recreationals so decided to buy a house, do the suburbia thing, god knows I've seen enough walking car crashes amongst expats and I was well on my way to joining them.
Yes good on you mate, Cambodia has gotten expensive since you left , after living here on and off longterm I can verify your story's .

Man walking car crashes and walking dead still in the vacinity , Some I see in SNV bars then a year or Two later I see them on CEO news , Dead or deported..... Its only time.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Homeless Brit MARTIN CLEARY Arrested by Immigration Police in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

More public info from Facebook by someone who seems to know details of Martin Cleary's arrest in Cambodia:

"He got himself arrested intentionally in order to begin the deportation process back to England because he had no other way of getting home. It was a planned move by him. Being in the position where he had no way to get home wasn't a planned move, but this wasn't due to some scandalous behavior or something. This is just the best way for him to get a plane ticket given his circumstances.

He had been teaching at some random school for the past year or more and doing fine basically, but he'd become a hermit and wasn't socializing with anyone really, just going to work and back to his room he rented and doing his thing. And then he got fed up with the job and quit and ended up in a bad spot. Homeless and suicidal again, basically. Landed in Calmette for a stretch but then when he got out he was given a place to stay with a friend who convinced him to go home again, and then they had to figure out how since the British embassy doesn't fly you guys home like America's will. The decision would be more of a no-brainer but this will earn him a 5 year ban from Cambodia I believe so he'll not be back any time soon.

And yes, he has had a place to stay these past few weeks with a mutual friend, who has been feeding him and keeping a roof over his head and stuff. He was depressed and apparently tried to kill himself again unsuccessfully prior to that but thankfully he was talked out of those notions and while he may not be thrilled to be going back to England in this manner, at least he's alive and can look for something to live for.
"
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

doing fine basically, but he'd become a hermit and wasn't socializing with anyone really, just going to work and back to his room he rented and doing his thing
Fuck me yeah. There's a ring of truth around that statement.
See crook!!!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

while he may not be thrilled to be going back to England in this manner, at least he's alive and can look for something to live for."
So this is good news then ?
Good luck to him.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

SO now the American embassy flies deportees home? News to me...
Teknotim
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Unknown homeless British man arrested by immigration, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Post by Teknotim »

[*]
krisduncs wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:36 am Yes he does look a lot like Martin. From yorkshire.
I know this is an old post& im new to here so does anyone know how I can contact Martin. He was a good freind in the old lakeside days & I'd like to contact him.Ive not been in Cambodia for a year & a half & tried to find him when I was last in p/ p. If anyone can help I'd very much appreciate it & you may even know me I was there 14 years . Thanks
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

try his name on fb
you will find him there
a bit more chubby
bit still a top bastard, i mean bloke
unfortunately my memory only goes back
13 yrs
pebbles&nightsky
Apexisto
Expatriate
Finland

Post by Apexisto »

Note to self from Martin: if somebody wants to move abroad, check that they have their own shit together so they don't get depressed and become homeless.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Apexisto wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 pm Note to self from Martin: if somebody wants to move abroad, check that they have their own shit together so they don't get depressed and become homeless.
People move to Cambodia because they are already depressed and homeless
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic