I hear the sound, of distant drums

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Re: I hear the sound, of distant drums

Post by Stinkman »

Back on topic:
Sinking US aircraft carriers will resolve tension in South China Sea, says Chinese admiral

The deputy head of a Chinese military academy told an audience in Shenzhen last month that tensions in the South China Sea could be resolved by sinking a pair of U.S. aircraft carriers, reports said.

"What the United States fears the most is taking casualties," said Rear Admiral Lou Yuan, deputy head of the Chinese Academy of Military Sciences, news.com.au reported. He said sinking one carrier would kill 5,000 and sinking two would double that number

Brad Glosserman, a China expert and professor at Tokyo’s Tama University, said Lou’s comments reflect a growing belief in China that the United States has lost its stomach for war, according to a report from military.com.

The Chinese believe that "Americans have gone soft … [they] no longer have an appetite for sacrifice and at the first sign of genuine trouble they will cut and run," Glosserman said.
https://www.foxnews.com/world/sinking-u ... se-admiral

Quite a departure from China's "Bide our time, hide our strength" policy of the past. They seem to have learned a bit from North Korean threat tactics.
Johnsell50
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Johnsell50 »

Stinkman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:19 pm
Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:13 pm US still has massive underground reserves of non-shale oil they are just developing. New fields just found that are supposed to be larger than Arab countries just in Texas.
Again, source? I did read they found additional reserve in the Permian Basin region, and somewhat large but nothing near the magnitude of what you seem to have read.

Either way I wouldn't put much stock in such oil exploration announcements. Could be shady people trying to spur investment and increase land prices. Brazil reported massive offshore oil reserves long ago that have yet to materialize and so has Cambodia. Some formations cost well over $100 a barrel to extract.
Sources:

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gene ... Basin.html
https://seekingalpha.com/article/418626 ... ounts-2020
https://www.oilandgas360.com/two-new-re ... -in-texas/
https://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/05/us-oil- ... ussia.html
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Stinkman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:50 pm Back on topic:
Sinking US aircraft carriers will resolve tension in South China Sea, says Chinese admiral

The deputy head of a Chinese military academy told an audience in Shenzhen last month that tensions in the South China Sea could be resolved by sinking a pair of U.S. aircraft carriers, reports said.

"What the United States fears the most is taking casualties," said Rear Admiral Lou Yuan, deputy head of the Chinese Academy of Military Sciences, news.com.au reported. He said sinking one carrier would kill 5,000 and sinking two would double that number

Brad Glosserman, a China expert and professor at Tokyo’s Tama University, said Lou’s comments reflect a growing belief in China that the United States has lost its stomach for war, according to a report from military.com.

The Chinese believe that "Americans have gone soft … [they] no longer have an appetite for sacrifice and at the first sign of genuine trouble they will cut and run," Glosserman said.
https://www.foxnews.com/world/sinking-u ... se-admiral

Quite a departure from China's "Bide our time, hide our strength" policy of the past. They seem to have learned a bit from North Korean threat tactics.
If there is a military flashpoint, I reckon it will be the disputed waters of the South China sea. In time they will also want to subsume Taiwan but that will be raising the stakes considerably.

Whilst the US may not wish to go to war over a naval skirmish in those waters, I think it has enough clout amongst westerns nations (they've already achieved that with Huawei et al) and more specifically, Japan, Sth Korea, Philippines and Vietnam will all want to support sanctions etc..
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

"What the United States fears the most is taking casualties,"

Casualties you say?
American Civil War, WW1 and 2, Vietnam, Korean War, Iraq, Afghanistan...

United States government. No.
United States people. Yes.
Johnsell50
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Johnsell50 »

What is amazing is how many times Americans have rallied to fight for causes, how many Americans have died for them. None of us really want to see what would happen if China sinks even 1 carrier. I think China is in for a big surprise if they pursue this. My job in the service was NBC warfare, I forget what % of the nukes in existence exploded it would take to create a nuclear winter but if I remember it was less than 5% at that time and that was in the late 60's. That's why they called it "MAD" to even think of it. Does anyone remember how angry most Americans were after 911? This would be 10X worse. And yes, I hate the thought of war.

n
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Johnsell50 wrote:What is amazing is how many times Americans have rallied to fight for causes, how many Americans have died for them. None of us really want to see what would happen if China sinks even 1 carrier. I think China is in for a big surprise if they pursue this. My job in the service was NBC warfare, I forget what % of the nukes in existence exploded it would take to create a nuclear winter but if I remember it was less than 5% at that time and that was in the late 60's. That's why they called it "MAD" to even think of it. Does anyone remember how angry most Americans were after 911? This would be 10X worse. And yes, I hate the thought of war.

n
We is all people but apparently might is right!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

oopsfermi
Expatriate
Puerto Rico

Post by oopsfermi »

Johnsell50 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:46 pm What is amazing is how many times Americans have rallied to fight for causes, how many Americans have died for them.
But we've been misled so often. Hopefully we're running out of rallies, because for sure, we're running out of wars.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

There won't be a war with China. There won't be any wars between superpowers. There will be small wars between small nations, or bigger wars where big nations pick on smaller nations, but wars between superpowers won't ever happen.

The cold war proved that. As a species, we are all too aware of what WWIII would look like, and, as a species, we didn't, and wouldn't ever let it happen.

Stop scaremongering.

Enjoy your life.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

xandreu wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:24 pm There won't be a war with China. There won't be any wars between superpowers. There will be small wars between small nations, or bigger wars where big nations pick on smaller nations, but wars between superpowers won't ever happen.

The cold war proved that. As a species, we are all too aware of what WWIII would look like, and, as a species, we didn't, and wouldn't ever let it happen.

Stop scaremongering.

Enjoy your life.
You are aware that comments and opinions such as yours are almost identical to those expressed by many people prior to WW2?
History doesn’t repeat itself... but it does rhyme.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:40 pm
xandreu wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:24 pm There won't be a war with China. There won't be any wars between superpowers. There will be small wars between small nations, or bigger wars where big nations pick on smaller nations, but wars between superpowers won't ever happen.

Stop scaremongering.

Enjoy your life.
You are aware that comments and opinions such as yours are almost identical to those expressed by many people prior to WW2?
History doesn’t repeat itself... but it does rhyme.
So what's the alternative? We're talking about a binary situation here. A war between superpowers which will inevitably end in the destruction of mankind as we know it, or a lot of hot air where each side continuously threatens and makes threats to each other with both sides knowing that these are empty threats, because nobody is prepared to actually press that big red button?

It won't ever happen.

Stop worrying about it and enjoy your life.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic