Looking for genuine honda parts for super cub 90.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Looking for genuine honda parts for super cub 90.

Post by SlowJoe »

Im at the end of this trip and one thing i havent been able to find are good moto parts.

Im surprised as i stopped at several honda dealers and none of them stocked any parts. They all said go to russian market which i did and all the stuff there was fake. Fake stickers and fake part numbers and most of the sellers told us they were not genuine because no one wants to pay that much for parts. So I bought the la'ah versions of brakes and after putting them on our honda super cub 90 the brakes shrieked like a bitch. After taking the old shoes off and comparing i found the material is a good 10-15mm shorter than the originals and uneven so only the tips bite into the drum. So back to old worn out shoes and its quiet again and stops better.

Does anyone know where to get genuine honda parts specifically brakes? I was told the shoes are the same size as the wave but the bloody dealers dont stock anything so I dont know where to look. Nyom p'nyap, so any help appreciated.

Joe
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Looking for genuine honda parts for super cub 90.

Post by SlowJoe »

Fyi apparently the suzuki viva uses the same shoe size as the super cub front and rear and there was a big dealer on sihanouk road with cars and other stuff that sold genuine shoes for 7 or 8 dollars. Shoes are a hell of a lot better looking quality than the junk at russian market but havent tried them yet. Shame nothing else was a interchangeable otherwise i would have loaded up.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I doubt that very much, fronts are pads not shoes.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:06 pm Im at the end of this trip and one thing i havent been able to find are good moto parts.

Im surprised as i stopped at several honda dealers and none of them stocked any parts. They all said go to russian market which i did and all the stuff there was fake. Fake stickers and fake part numbers and most of the sellers told us they were not genuine because no one wants to pay that much for parts. So I bought the la'ah versions of brakes and after putting them on our honda super cub 90 the brakes shrieked like a bitch. After taking the old shoes off and comparing i found the material is a good 10-15mm shorter than the originals and uneven so only the tips bite into the drum. So back to old worn out shoes and its quiet again and stops better.

Does anyone know where to get genuine honda parts specifically brakes? I was told the shoes are the same size as the wave but the bloody dealers dont stock anything so I dont know where to look. Nyom p'nyap, so any help appreciated.

Joe
New shoes have to be 'arced' to fit the drum diameter so they make contact evenly. You can't just put them on out of the box.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

davegorman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:16 pm I doubt that very much, fronts are pads not shoes.
Should have said the suzukis rears are the same as the super cub front and rear.

Re arcing im not a professional mechanic by trade but ive never had an issue slapping on shoes out of the box the times ive done them. This has mainly been on rear brakes of cars and what have you and a handful of old bikes here too. This is the first time the new replacement brakes have been really bad like this. For what its worth the new brakes i bought at russian market look much worse than the oem suzukis i just bought. Epoxy gushing out the sides and sharp burrs on the casting not to mention the shoe material itself looks really coarse and grainy vs the smooth homogenous brown. The biggest issue though is the length of brake liner is considerably shorter than the original which i think is the main reason the leading edge is biting so hard.

But thank you though ill keep that in mind as go to fit new shoes from now on out.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SlowJoe wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:02 am
davegorman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:16 pm I doubt that very much, fronts are pads not shoes.
Should have said the suzukis rears are the same as the super cub front and rear.

Re arcing im not a professional mechanic by trade but ive never had an issue slapping on shoes out of the box the times ive done them. This has mainly been on rear brakes of cars and what have you and a handful of old bikes here too. This is the first time the new replacement brakes have been really bad like this. For what its worth the new brakes i bought at russian market look much worse than the oem suzukis i just bought. Epoxy gushing out the sides and sharp burrs on the casting not

to mention the shoe material itself looks really coarse and grainy vs the smooth homogenous brown.

The biggest issue though is the length of brake liner is considerably shorter than the original which i think is the main reason the leading edge is biting so hard.

But thank you though ill keep that in mind as go to fit new shoes from now on out.
I'm no expert but my knowledge of brakes shoes from a few years that I had in the automotive spare parts trade tells me the main difference in the smooth vs the course type ,, which is usually call '' woven '' is cause they are softer, have a asbestos material in them, and dont last as long,,, is the woven type give a better grip .
They were usually only fitted to the rear as if you fitted them to the front they would lock up the front wheels .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Asbestos makes sense. Here bloody brake shoes are made of the stuff and back home they ban chinese cars because of exhaust gaskets containing trace amounts of the stuff.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

SlowJoe wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:06 pm Im at the end of this trip and one thing i havent been able to find are good moto parts.

Im surprised as i stopped at several honda dealers and none of them stocked any parts.
That's very surprising as Honda is the main supplier here moto wise. I run a Yamaha Jupiter and take it to the main dealer for repairs and service, they always have the parts in stock such as disk pads, disc rotor, chain and sprockets etc.

Were you trying the main dealers or ones that were smaller shops selling Honda? I say this as I go to the main Yamaha dealer on Czech Republic Blvd, another one that purports to be a dealer near my house while having a decent showroom, the spares/repair section is sub standard and not much different to a "roadside repair shop" :D

Here's a list of the Honda dealers https://ncxhonda.com.kh/dealers/ I would have thought Honda Monivong would have had shoes in stock.

PHNOM PENH HONDA (MONIVONG)
Address: #364, Preah Monivong Blvd, Sangkat Boeng Keng Kang 1, Khan Chamkarmom, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Phone: 023 223 157 / 023 223 167

However if it is quite an old bike it is possible that they would be out of stock and need to order them in for you.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Hasn’t the Honda Cub/Dream remained the same for 50 years or something?
Same body, engine and chassis. I doubt the rear brakes would have been modified in that time.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Im not an expert on the super cub but they seem to have changed a bit over the years. When looking for this bike there were many iterations that had very different engines so i doubt the parts interchange. Brakes maybe but the motor definitely not.

As for the dealers they seem like theyve never sold the super cub here its always been a grey market import. The places i went didnt look like small hole in the wall shops but probably werent the main dealers either. I tried look up in advance honda dealerships but for whatever reason i was getting nonsensical advice from the google so we just rode around on the main road looking for honda buildings.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic