Rattanakiri

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Rattanakiri

Post by RickyBobby »

Has anyone much experience with visiting Rattanakiri? I would like to do a 3-4 day trip. Please advise and thank you in advance.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Rattanakiri

Post by explorer »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:13 pm Has anyone much experience with visiting Rattanakiri? I would like to do a 3-4 day trip. Please advise and thank you in advance.
If you are in PP do the entire loop. Mondolkiri, Rattanakiri, Stung Treing, Kratie, Kampong Cham.

Or even Mondolkiri, Rattanakiri, Stung Treing, Siem Reap.

There are long distances between places. You will spend a lot of time sitting on buses. 3-4 days is not enough.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Thank you.

When I planned my first trip in 2013, I was going to explore the whole country and adjacent countries also. Then I got hooked up with my lady. I spent a miserable week alone before realizing that I would just rather be with her. She of course had to work.

What kind of itinerary would you recommend? Departing PP, check. The problem is my lady had a window of about 1 week max.

Anyone done it on a bike?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:13 pm Has anyone much experience with visiting Rattanakiri? I would like to do a 3-4 day trip. Please advise and thank you in advance.
3-4 days is enough to see the highlights in Ratanakiri, in 4 days even a combi with Mondolkiri is possible. Most people going to Ratanakiri visit Yeak Loam (some even more than once), the waterfalls (Kachanh, Katieng, Cha Ong, and the 7 step), some indigenous villages and will sample some bush meat. Ban Lung market worth a visit in the early morning (not the inside, check the stalls outside on the far lefr and right) fore some gruesome offers.

The attractions are quite spread out. For instance Yeak Loam is 5 km out of town, from town to the waterfalls is about 5-7 km (but in the other direction) and the 7 step waterfall is 25 km beyond Yeak Loam going into the total middle of nowhere. The road going there is quite difficult in rainy season, but OK now if you don't mind a dusty bumpy ride. It's worth a visit though. In this season the water is really nice to take a dive.

Easiest way to get around is to rent a motorcycle. Traffic is light in Ratanakiri and relatively safe. I've never heard of scams with motorbike rentals here.

Travel up and down will take quite some time. Minivans do the run in 6-8 hours these days, but the drivers do two runs a day, 6 days a week. The night bus from Vireak Buntham is probably the most convenient option. You can do a Ratanak-Mondul combi. The road between Ban Lung and Sem Monorom is fully done now and the 120 km stretch will take about three hours. Any other combi is insane in 3-4 days. For instance the trip to Siem Reap will take 6-8 hours, basically a day.

Travel to and from both Ratanak and Mondul can de done at night to save time. During the day it's minivans only. All large bus company have ceased their operations because a large bus will simply take too long during the day. As far as I know two companies offer night buses now, Vireak and Rattanak Sambath. The latter offer reclining seats, no beds. Price about 11$ per person one way for both. Minivans typically charge 50.000r per person.

While being in Ratanakiri stick to bottled water only from the major brands. Tap water is pumped out of a stream supposed to contain clean water but no processing whatsoever. 30L jars typically are filled with unprocessed water from wells. Locally bottled water (0,5L bottles only) contain the same water. Maybe it's no problem if you've been around for a while, but not recommended when on a 3-4 day break.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:39 pm Thank you.

When I planned my first trip in 2013, I was going to explore the whole country and adjacent countries also. Then I got hooked up with my lady. I spent a miserable week alone before realizing that I would just rather be with her. She of course had to work.

What kind of itinerary would you recommend? Departing PP, check. The problem is my lady had a window of about 1 week max.

Anyone done it on a bike?
Yes.... Dangerous, long stretch. 540 km of insane driving. Not recommended, esp with a passenger.
doktor_d
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by doktor_d »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:39 pm Anyone done it on a bike?
I've done it on a125cc bike many times but it's been a couple of years since last time I went.

I usually go very early in the morning.. maybe 05.00 or 05.30, cross at the Prek Tamak bridge and drive towards Prey Veng on NR8 and go north on NR11 at the roundabout. Turn right onto NR7 then left onto NR73 up to Chlong. Have a lunch break and then take NR308 to Kratie where I usually spend the night - then push on to Stung Treng very early next morning on NR7 for another lunch break then continue on to Ratanakiri or Laos or wherever I'm going...

If I'm going to Mondulkiri I take the same route towards Prey Veng, but stay on NR8 past Kamchay Mear until I get to NR7 at Ponnea Krek where I turn right and continue on to Memot then Snuol where I stop for a lunch break and then push on to Sen Monorom on NR76.

I'm usually not pressed for time when I go so you could probably get there a lot quicker on a big bike, going the NR6A/NR7 route via Kampong Cham, but I much prefer the more quiet, scenic routes.. trying to use the smaller, less traffic congested roads wherever possible.

Either way, it's very doable on a bike but it's a long ride and you'll be tired when you get there. If you only have 3-4 days total, maybe a minivan would be a better choice..
Alcohol is necessary so that a man can have a good opinion of himself, undisturbed by the facts
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I’m here now, in Banlung, it’s alright and extremely temperate. Almost a bit too cool but awesome for open air sleeping at night.

We visited Yeak Laom, a nice little waterfall for lunch and Kachanh Lake (very deep volcanic lake) yesterday. Getting around via motor rental is easy and cost $5 but it’s nothing shiny.

I can go a whole day and see only one other Barang, and as usual they are the least friendly of the bunch.

There are visibly short people here, my lady calls them Dwarves (dwaff) which is kind of funny, especially her pronunciation. The little kids here just stare at me many rarely see Barang, and even some ladies want to touch my skin. I’m not complaining, I stand out and am different for sure but well received; I feel special.

I am sitting in the market enjoying a coffee with sweet milk while my lady is getting her hair washed and braided and her fingernails done. I don’t mind the time to just relax.

I can share more photos later but now I’m on my phone and it just seems a bit of work to do it all.

This trip is one of those things I can cross off my list, I don’t regret it but won’t do it again either. It’s nothing special really, at least so far but today we will do some more exploring and I can report if I discover anything interesting. Tomorrow I’m outta here!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Why is your image upside down?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic