Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Rogue
Expatriate
Honduras

Re: Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker

Post by Rogue »

Duncan wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:47 pm
Duncan wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:27 pm I always use my rice cooker as a slow cooker. Bring everything to a boil then put it on keep warm Sometimes you have to do that 2 or 3 times .

Just to add to that,, rice cookers are very much under utilized, and can be used for cooking a stew , boiling eggs or poaching a egg , boiling water for your coffee in an emergency, and boiling a larger amount of water to mix with cold water in a 20 liter bucket for a ''dip and tip'' shower when you have cold weather . If you have the steamer bit that goes on top try making dumplings.
And making lasagna or bread.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I had a go at using my rice cooker to make a slow cooked beef stew after seeing this thread. First time I only left it for five or six hours and the tough beef from the market was still like a tough old buffalo, but on my second attempt it was coming apart after about 10 hours and I would leave it longer still. Definitely bring it back to the boil a few times during the course

400g beef - floured and browned in a frypan
chuck into 1 sachet beef stew mix from the supermarket mixed with three cups of water, with (chopped up, obviously):
1 x carrot
1 x onion
1 x sweet potato
3 x smallish tomatoes
a bunch of button mushrooms
7 cloves of garlic
1 tsp salt and a bit of ground pepper
1 tbs worcestershire sauce

Gives about three good servings for total of $8 ($5 if you don't use the sachet, not sure how much it adds, maybe you could use stock cubes for less)

A tasty and hearty meal for "winter" lol.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Ahhh, that reminds me, I've got to update my own damn thread.

Went back to Aeon and one of you fuckers must have swooped in and bought that last pressure cooker.

So I took Old8404's advice and went to Home Fix and picked up one of their slow cookers. A bit small but does the trick.

I still want to give our rice cooker a shot at it as well but haven't convinced the wife to let me do it yet.

God love the old Trouble and Strife.

Thanks for posting that recipe timmyupatree. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic