Expat destinations and visa requirements

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Expat destinations and visa requirements

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Very easy...

1. Apply for the E-type(Ordinary) Visa on Arrival, $35, valid for 1month.
2. At least 1 week prior to your VOA expiring, take your passport and money to a visa agent and apply for a 12 month ER (Retirement) EOS (Extension of Stay). As long as you are aged 55+, no supporting documentation is required. Cost will depend on agent used, anywhere from $270 - 300 for a 12 mth EOS.
3. 11 months later, repeat step 2.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

In my case it took 11 work days = more than 2 weeks to get my extension of stay renewed. So the 'at least 1 week' might be better read 'at least 2 weeks' or to be on the secure side 'asap'. The visa agents have piles of Chinese passports on their desks. I went to several, silly numbers. So expect a long wait. Make some photocopies of the ID page, visa, entry stamp, and entry form in case you want to travel in the meantime or switch hotels. Have the visa agent register your passport number on the receipt he will give you. Worked for me in the past.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Pizzalover wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:49 pm In my case it took 11 work days = more than 2 weeks to get my extension of stay renewed. So the 'at least 1 week' might be better read 'at least 2 weeks' or to be on the secure side 'asap'. The visa agents have piles of Chinese passports on their desks. I went to several, silly numbers. So expect a long wait. Make some photocopies of the ID page, visa, entry stamp, and entry form in case you want to travel in the meantime or switch hotels. Have the visa agent register your passport number on the receipt he will give you. Worked for me in the past.
that sucks.
what happens if something happens in that time period?
like, god forbid, u die or are in an accident and need travel to Thailand or....
without ur passport fuck all ur embassy can do
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

that sucks.
what happens if something happens in that time period?
like, god forbid, u die or are in an accident and need travel to Thailand or....
Recently heard of the opposite case. Friend of a friend gave his passport to an agent in Laos, and then something happened to the agent, traffic accident? heart attack?
sigmoid wrote: ↑ Vietnam is a similar option. Lots of elderly people on one-year business visas obtained through visa agents. Cheaper for US passport holders.

I believe that’s changing.
What have you heard. Got my 3rd one a couple months ago.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Pizzalover wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:49 pm In my case it took 11 work days = more than 2 weeks to get my extension of stay renewed. So the 'at least 1 week' might be better read 'at least 2 weeks' or to be on the secure side 'asap'. The visa agents have piles of Chinese passports on their desks. I went to several, silly numbers. So expect a long wait. Make some photocopies of the ID page, visa, entry stamp, and entry form in case you want to travel in the meantime or switch hotels. Have the visa agent register your passport number on the receipt he will give you. Worked for me in the past.
Yes, extensions are taking longer to be processed, I always recommend people do it as soon as possible but no later than 1 week prior to expiry... as long as the DoI receive it before it expires then there are no issues.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

davegorman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:37 am
sigmoid wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 am Vietnam is a similar option. Lots of elderly people on one-year business visas obtained through visa agents. Cheaper for US passport holders.
Americans can still get 12 month business visa for VN but I don't think anyone else can. 3mo max now for us.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:41 pm
davegorman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:37 am
sigmoid wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 am Vietnam is a similar option. Lots of elderly people on one-year business visas obtained through visa agents. Cheaper for US passport holders.
Americans can still get 12 month business visa for VN but I don't think anyone else can. 3mo max now for us.
Yeah, seems you're right. I was under the impression that things were back to normal.

Actually, my visa agent said thst one-year is still possible for other nationalities but is prohibitively expensive, approaching $1000. She said that it's cheaper to get 3 months and renew. Not sure how many times you can renew though.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic