New Zealand Needs Stricter Gun Control Laws

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

New Zealand Needs Stricter Gun Control Laws

Post by General Mackevili »

This is unacceptable. They really need to make this illegal so everyone will stop. How many times will New Zealand let this happen before they outlaw guns?

A New Zealand town was on high alert on Monday after police said a gunman killed two people and injured a third at an unemployment office, before escaping on a bicycle.

The incident began at around 10am in the South Island town of Ashburton. Police said they are urging residents to remain inside if they can and have deployed a “full police response”. They said the man should not be approached.

According to police, the man entered a Work and Income New Zealand office and started shooting.

A witness said the man was wearing a black balaclava and shot at two women, according to the Ashburton Guardian. Other witnesses told the paper the man was carrying a shotgun.

Police superintendent Gary Knowles told reporters that John Henry Tully, 48, was a person of interest in the shooting, according to The New Zealand Herald. Knowles said a thorough search was taking place around the Ashburton river, where the manhunt had headed.

Ashburton mayor Angus McKay said the town was very community-minded and the tragedy would affect many lives: “It just hits home real hard,” he said, according to the Herald.

Police said the injured person was in a serious but stable condition in an area hospital.

Ashburton is home to about 18,000 people and is 90km southwest of.....

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/s ... say-police
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: New Zealand Needs Stricter Gun Control Laws

Post by Anchor Moy »

General Mackevili wrote:This is unacceptable. They really need to make this illegal so everyone will stop. How many times will New Zealand let this happen before they outlaw guns
Or outlaw homeless people with mental problems...
Dr Anik
Expatriate

Post by Dr Anik »

Good point; NZ decided some time ago to close nearly all its psychiatric hospitals as the mentally ill throughout the country numbered so many that open society in fact became the asylum.

But the fact also remains..perp was unlicensed to possess firearms.. so how did he get his hands on a sawn-off shotgun? Stole it perhaps, bought it hot...shit happens, not to mention that the country has at least 4000 unregistered AK style assault rifles alone floating around!! Given that, you'd think there would be more gun deaths.

This particular incident is just surreal.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

!
.shit happens, not to mention that the country has at least 4000 unregistered AK style assault rifles alone floating around!
You sure you're talking about NZ? Where'd all those guns come from?
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I wonder how many AK-47s are hidden under beds in Cambo. I was in a Cambo police station and they had a folding stock AK-47 behind the desk. Since I used to rebuild AK-47 I offered to clean up and accurize it for them, but they didn't see the humor. Go figure.
Dr Anik
Expatriate

Post by Dr Anik »

Anchor Moy wrote:!
.shit happens, not to mention that the country has at least 4000 unregistered AK style assault rifles alone floating around!
You sure you're talking about NZ? Where'd all those guns come from?
Afraid I am talking about nz.
That figure, 4000 AKs,(derivatives..norinco, staiga, using AK mechanism, barrel etc..) is one I recall from about 10-15 years ago but cannot find data. To give an indication of numbers generally though...

The estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in New Zealand is 925,000 to 1,200,000. In the absence of registration for most firearms, only an approximation is possible..

Number of Privately Owned Rifles

In New Zealand, the number of rifles in civilian possession is reported to be 460,000. In the absence of registration for most rifles, only an approximation is possible

Number of Privately Owned Shotguns
In New Zealand, the number of shotguns in civilian possession is reported to be 300,000. In the absence of registration for most shotguns, only an approximation is possible

Number of Privately Owned Handguns
There are reportedly 36,000 registered handguns in civilian possession in New Zealand

..leaving approximately 250,000 unregistered firearms.

EDIT...been chatting about this with a friend and these figures..'total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in New Zealand is 925,000 to 1,200,000', he thinks could be closer to 2million. The present firearms act allows any holder of a firearms license to own as many guns as they like and effectively become an arms dealer. NZ is one of few countries to sell guns in classified ads.

Phew..that said, while there are incidents of gun violence here, one couldn't describe NZ as a gun culture I would think.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I am astounded by my own ignorance - always thought it was those big, bad Aussies who had the guns - and I would have said that NZ was relatively gun-free.
I was just about to say that in the "old days" I never saw anyone in NZ with a gun - hmm, with the exception of rabbit-shooters, deer-poachers, farmers and Hell's Angels...so, yeah, there has always been a lot of guns around - just not in your face. However, I'm talking about shotguns - where do the AKs come from? Someone just decided that they would be a good addition to Kiwi culture and imported them in bulk? Or NZ is now an arms manufacturer ?

Also,I have heard that NZ has become more violent over the last 15 years. Would you agree with that Dr A, or is that another example of selective memory? (You know:" in the good old days, we would never lock the doors, but now you can't walk down the street without being assaulted "etc).
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

There are so many guns because of the shotgun weddings for impregnated sheep.

Most shooters have flocked off and are on the lamb.

I kid ewe not.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Dr Anik
Expatriate

Post by Dr Anik »

Only semi auto/auto military assault rifles and handguns are required by law to be registered. As many of the Chinese AKs were single shot models, they were never registered. They and the semi auto are favoured here for deer hunting and were readily available 20 years ago.

Is NZ safe? ..well I feel very safe, and people don't need to carry guns to feel safe here, still I guess violence is on the rise everywhere. One thing that is difficult to ignore though is that for a country with the most relaxed gun laws in the western world we don't have an 'in your face' gun culture society.
Last edited by Dr Anik on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Only police, bad guys, farmers and sports shooters have guns in Oz... and a few professional hunters.

Licit - a word I wasn't aware of, thanks for that!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic