China To Take Over Kenya's Largest Port Over Unpaid Chinese Loan

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Re: China To Take Over Kenya's Largest Port Over Unpaid Chinese Loan

Post by Felgerkarb »

SNV port is controlled by the Japanese. That is why China is building two more, one in Ream and one in Koh Kong....then they can step in on the Japanese SNV one too eventually.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

yong wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:03 am This One Belt One Road initiative is very evil it’s the Chinese way of colonizing the weaker countries.

Very soon South East Asia will be colonized throughly their high speed train projects.
HSR may be too advanced for countries like Laos, Myanmar, or Cambodia. The three countries don't have the necessary electrical infrastructure to make this happen. First, they will have to build freeways to transport goods and resources from the main towns to the ports. I think China is currently planning on building one between SHV and PP.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Queef wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 am
yong wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:03 am This One Belt One Road initiative is very evil it’s the Chinese way of colonizing the weaker countries.

Very soon South East Asia will be colonized throughly their high speed train projects.
HSR may be too advanced for countries like Laos, Myanmar, or Cambodia. The three countries don't have the necessary electrical infrastructure to make this happen. First, they will have to build freeways to transport goods and resources from the main towns to the ports. I think China is currently planning on building one between SHV and PP.
Plus there is the little issue of people in Cambodia having a liking to sleep off the booze on the tracks.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:23 am SNV port is controlled by the Japanese. That is why China is building two more, one in Ream and one in Koh Kong....then they can step in on the Japanese SNV one too eventually.
It was officially handed back to Cambodia this year. All key Japanese staff have gone.

They may have run it but they didn’t control it.

(I’m quoting from another source so don’t shoot me if it’s wrong)
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

davegorman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:32 am
Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:23 am SNV port is controlled by the Japanese. That is why China is building two more, one in Ream and one in Koh Kong....then they can step in on the Japanese SNV one too eventually.
It was officially handed back to Cambodia this year. All key Japanese staff have gone.

Would you know why they left by any chance? Is the port authority contracting out the operation of the port?
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

Queef wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:50 am

Would you know why they left by any chance? Is the port authority contracting out the operation of the port?
I think their contract/job/mission was completed simply put.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

davegorman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:39 am
Queef wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:50 am

I think their contract/job/mission was completed simply put.
That makes perfect sense actually. JICA provided the port authority with a loan to expand the port (loans from JICA = Japanese labor/ products/ services on site). The project ended in June 2018 which would explain why they left, and now China is going to help the port authority pay back the loan at a very low (or no) interest... The last clause is just an assumption, but I can see it happening in the near future
Johnsell50
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Johnsell50 »

Maybe these countries could follow some South American countries lead and nationalize what they can't pay back the loans for. And yes, China is looking to take over not only Asia but the world.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

hanno wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:31 am
Queef wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 am

Plus there is the little issue of people in Cambodia having a liking to sleep off the booze on the tracks.
They've already blasted the HSR through the Laos mountains, it's certainly coming down close to the border already. They put it on stilts, so that should stop the napping.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I’ve heard that the HSR is coming into Cambodia. I got this from my military friend in PP who is involved in private security and he said that it going to happen.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic