Does Cambodia secretly deport Western overstayers to Thailand without telling the Thais about the overstay?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Does Cambodia secretly deport Western overstayers to Thailand without telling the Thais about the overstay?

Post by Cam Nivag »

I heard a totally unreliable rumor about ten days ago that a somewhat well known, down on his luck British expat had been locked up in immigration jail by Phnom Penh airport on a three year overstay. Apparently, he had decided to move from Cambodia to the Philippines and bought a plane ticket there. He thought he could just show up at the airport and talk his way out of the three year overstay.

So they didn't let him on the plane to the Philippines and instead locked him up with a bunch of Nigerians, eight to a cell, while he pleaded his case of "Sorry about the overstay, got no money to pay that, can I just fly to the Philippines then?"

And I see that, after a mere ten days in lockup, this guy just updated his Facebook page to announce that he is now in Bangkok, at the airport, planning to stay for a day or so before flying to the Philippines. Whether he paid some or all of the overstay fee, I don't know, but that seems doubtful.

The main question I have here is, does Cambodia even notify Thailand or Vietnam or other neighboring countries when it puts an overstayer on a plane that this person is being deported for overstaying in Cambodia?

Or do they just give the guy his passport and plane ticket and say "Off you go, you're Bangkok's problem now"?

I've never had a Thai airport immigration officer scrutinize my non-Thai passport stamps and entry/exit dates. I doubt they'd really have any way of knowing you just overstayed in Cambodia unless there was a particularly inquisitive and eagle eyed immigration officer at the Bangkok airport who really studied your Cambodian entry/exit stamps.

If the Cambodians told the Thais "We caught this guy on a three year overstay, we're sending him your way," I imagine the guy might be refused entry and sent back to Cambodia, which is obviously not what the Cambodians want. So they must be doing these deportations in secret, which seems to me like a dick move.
Stinkman
Expatriate

Re: Does Cambodia secretly deport Western overstayers to Thailand without telling the Thais about the overstay?

Post by Stinkman »

Why do you say "they put him on a plane to Bangkok"? You think Cambodian Immigaration paid his airfare to Bangkok although they wouldn't allow him to travel to the Philippines on his own dime? Doesn't make sense.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Does Cambodia secretly deport Western overstayers to Thailand without telling the Thais about the overstay?

Post by Cam Nivag »

Stinkman wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:22 am Why do you say "they put him on a plane to Bangkok"? You think Cambodian Immigaration paid his airfare to Bangkok although they wouldn't allow him to travel to the Philippines on his own dime? Doesn't make sense.

I imagine they walked him, under guard, from his cell to a plane to Bangkok and made sure he boarded it. I didn't mean to suggest that they physically carried him or loaded him on like luggage.

I don't know who bought the ticket, he probably did, and it went through Bangkok since there are no direct flights, or cheap direct flights, from Phnom Penh to the Philippines.
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by 135 »

Why’s it a dick move? Being deported for overstaying a visa isn’t like fucking a child. He pays or he doesn’t. They lock him up a bit and perhaps realize he can’t or won’t be paying the fine. Easier to get him on that plane and make room for more Nigerians.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

As far as I can work out they can deport you back to wherever you embarked to Cambodia from, which in many cases seems to be Thailand. What does Thailand do with these degenerates once they get dumped on their shores?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Thai immigration scrutinizes non-Thai stamps when entering from Cambodia. They want to know how you entered Cambodia. Happened to me. They were only satisfied when they could link my Cambodian stamps to Vietnamese stamps. Seems to be a precaution against visa runners with 2 passports.

Sorry for the guy who has fallen on hard times. Many of these overstayers have problems and need assistance from social services and medical staff.

It is a sad state of affairs that Gavinmac now turns CEO into his personal urinal. Why dont you take your shit topics back to K440 where you thrived so well in your own dirt? You post speculative shit just to vent your own condescending BS. You're as much a telling phenomenon of the situation in Cambodia as those homeless overstayers. By the way, the latter appear to have more dignity.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Pizzalover wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:17 pm You post speculative shit just to vent your own condescending BS.
Speculative shit? The story is true, I was joking that the multiple people I heard it from are totally unreliable.

This site is full of news stories about overstayers being arrested, complete with names and photos. I don't recall those stories offending you. Yet when I post about a guy who got arrested but has not been featured in the news, and I even leave out his name, it's a condescending "shit topic" that's beneath discussion on CEO?
Stramash23
Expatriate

Post by Stramash23 »

Cam Nivag wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:23 pm
Pizzalover wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:17 pm You post speculative shit just to vent your own condescending BS.
Speculative shit? The story is true, I was joking that the multiple people I heard it from are totally unreliable.

This site is full of news stories about overstayers being arrested, complete with names and photos. I don't recall those stories offending you. Yet when I post about a guy who got arrested but has not been featured in the news, and I even leave out his name, it's a condescending "shit topic" that's beneath discussion on CEO?
He also did not get any sort of 'deported' stamp on his passport and is now in Manila.

There is no way he paid his overstay costs - he didn't have 2 100 riel notes to rub together.
Too weird to live, too rare to die
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I think that many people on CEO wonder what happens to the foreigners who get deported. Don't you ?
I think it's a legitimate question.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

News from the Pot: Kampot Expat Released and Sent to the Philippines After Being Arrested for 3 Year Overstay in Cambodia.
That should give hope to some of the poor souls still banged up in the Immigration Center in Phnom Penh.

Banged Up Bob Freed for Christmas
25th December 2018

Former Kampot Radio News Angkor and author Bob Couttie, 68 from the UK surrendered to immigration police on 5th December having accrued almost 3 years without a valid visa to be in Cambodia and was detained at the Phnom Penh Immigration Detention Centre.

He was hoping to be processed in time to visit the Philippines for a ceremony earlier this month seeing a war trophy being returned to Balangiga, where he’s written a book about a battle that took place against the US who took the church bells back to the states as a war trophy. Bob’s book is seen to have been instrumental in the the return of the bells.

His detention went on longer than he anticipated. He initially took one packet of cigarettes and a pack of oreo biscuits with him, however last night (Christmas Eve) Bob was deported from Cambodia with a 3 year ban and is now in the Philippines where he is hoping to hear the Balangiga bells ding dong for Christmas.
https://kampotradio.com/news/banged-up- ... Kw0qTqy_mM
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic